April 25, 2024, 03:01:42 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Battery Acid Spilled All Over The Ground (help)  (Read 6048 times)

joshcw96

Battery Acid Spilled All Over The Ground (help)
« on: September 03, 2016, 09:31:40 AM »
About a week ago my motorcycle fell over outside & the entire battery leaked acid all over the motorcycle & the ground around it. I'm not sure how to go about cleaning it all up, all of the grass around where it spilled is dead now & I have pet dogs that could potentially go onto the contaminated grass. How should I go about cleaning acid off the motorcycle & making the ground safe again? I know baking soda neutralizes battery acid but is there a better way to neutralize all of the acid on the motorcycle & ground?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Battery Acid Spilled All Over The Ground (help)
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016, 11:14:35 AM »
I would start covering the ground with grinded limestone, it is used to treat low pH soil and should safely react with the acid. Then either use water the ground, or wait till it starts to rain.

Acid on the bike - plenty of water is IMHO the only reasonable way to go.

YMMV
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

joshcw96

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 08:19:25 AM »
I would start covering the ground with grinded limestone, it is used to treat low pH soil and should safely react with the acid. Then either use water the ground, or wait till it starts to rain.

Acid on the bike - plenty of water is IMHO the only reasonable way to go.

YMMV

Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it. How much limestone should I add to the ground, about a quart of battery acid spilled. Also for cleaning the bike, could I possibly mix water with baking soda & spray it all over the bike, not sure if that would do any good but I just thought about that. Also would you recommend wearing any safety gear?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2016, 09:05:05 AM »
You can't use too much limestone. More or less use at least the same mass of the limestone that there was the acid spilled (please remember the acid density is much higher than that of pure water).

I wouldn't use baking soda on the bike, just water.

Note: that's how I would do, doesn't mean that's the best advice.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

joshcw96

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2016, 09:40:54 AM »
You can't use too much limestone. More or less use at least the same mass of the limestone that there was the acid spilled (please remember the acid density is much higher than that of pure water).

I wouldn't use baking soda on the bike, just water.

Note: that's how I would do, doesn't mean that's the best advice.

Alright so just buy some limestone powder at Lowe's or something & pour it all over the areas battery acid was spilled? I'll just use water on the bike, just was wanting to be sure that all the acid would be off the bike after hosing it down. Thanks again.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2016, 04:10:36 PM »
Alright so just buy some limestone powder at Lowe's or something & pour it all over the areas battery acid was spilled?

That's what I would do. IMHO much better and safer than trying to neutralize the acid with anything else (and the product of neutralization is quite safe).

I'll just use water on the bike, just was wanting to be sure that all the acid would be off the bike after hosing it down. Thanks again.

Matter of amount of water ;)

Sulfuric acid gets diluted quite easily, IMHO no need for neutralization - especially if you have not done it immediately.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 05:07:15 PM »
You could buy litmus paper, as a simple means to check if your bike is properly cleaned everywhere.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Litmus

If you observe corrosion, even after some time, act before the damage increases. It's very possible that some corrosion protection layers are damaged: paint, zinc layer...

Protect yourself against acid splashes when cleaning with water. Your eyes to the very least! Think in advance at what you'll do if you get acid on your clothes, you skin... because rinsing quickly makes the difference. Having someone next to you who reacts properly if acid splashes on you would be useful, especially for the eyes.

Sponsored Links