April 25, 2024, 01:59:46 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: What concentration of CaSO4 and MgSO4 to make mineral water?  (Read 3427 times)

Offline farmerjohn1324

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
What concentration of CaSO4 and MgSO4 to make mineral water?
« on: September 05, 2016, 08:27:13 AM »
What concentration of calcium sulfate (gypsum) and magnesium sulfate (Epsom salts) would you use to make mineral water?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: What concentration of CaSO4 and MgSO4 to make mineral water?
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 11:58:51 AM »
And various brands and natural sources come in a diversity of concentrations of dissolved solids.  Some people like the stronger ones, depending on their application or personal taste.  Several manufacturers proudly sate the concentrations of dissolved solids in their mineral waters.

A little Googleing tells me that magnesium citrate, at a level of 290 mg/ 5 ml, is used as a laxative.  So  you can find more salts dissolved in water than you'd want to drink.

Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline farmerjohn1324

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 11:10:02 PM »
So what would you suggest I dissolve to make mineral water?

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 03:13:11 AM »
Just look at many labels in my google link and read wikipedia.
AWK

Offline farmerjohn1324

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 06:02:43 PM »
But that just says the concentration. It doesn't say what exactly I should be putting in the water.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 07:53:56 PM »
So what would you suggest I dissolve to make mineral water?

I suggest that you don't try, because its against our rules to give help to make formulations for self-consumption.  This is a liability issue.  Please review: Forum Rules{click}

But that just says the concentration. It doesn't say what exactly I should be putting in the water.

What do you mean?  It lists the concentrations, and names the ions.  You started this thread with two ingredients, essentially the same as Burton Water Salts -- https://www.google.com/search?q=burton+water+salts&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8 commonly added to water used to brew beer.

Please realize this is a learning forum.  If you really want to learn how to compute concentrations of ions, back calculate to masses of salts, deal with solubility issues, discuss health risks, we'd like to help.  If you decided, "I want mineral water, tell me the weights."  And all you want to do is weigh and stir, you've come to the wrong place.  What will you learn?  What are you here to talk about?  How awesome you are, having weighed and stirred into water something you heard about?  Are you expecting Vichy and San Pellegrino to shut down their springs, "Dammit ... farmer john is onto us, no point in continuing anymore."
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links