April 24, 2024, 01:13:56 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Ink recipes anyone?  (Read 1780 times)

Offline cantanoza

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Ink recipes anyone?
« on: September 05, 2016, 12:40:32 PM »
Hey guys. Im going to start off saying that i have no chemical experience whatsoever but i have finished high school and have a basic understanding of chemistry. I had an idea about a special ink but i have no idea about how to start researching about it. Is there an ink that is very similar to white board markers but could be cleaned with cold or warm water?

Basically im looking for books about ink recipes and how different inks are made and stuff like that. Do you know any specific books or have any advice for me?

p.s: i dont know if i posted this topic in the right section. if it should be anywhere else please tell me.

Offline P

• Mole Snacks: +64/-15
  • I am what I am
Re: Ink recipes anyone?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 09:11:51 AM »
most inks, like paints, consist of a pigment, a polymer binder in a solvent or dispersed in water with coalescing solvents, some dispersing aids and surfactants and usually some inert fillers.

If you want an ink that is water wipeable then you will need to have a water soluble poymer binder and maybe a water soluble pigment too - although the binder is what holds it all together, so if you have a binder that is water soluble then it figures that wioping the dry coating/ink with a wet cloth will get the polymer to dissolve and you should be able to wipe it off.

Hope that helps - google paint or ink formulations for some standard formulations, but as I said, they are all:

1) Pigment
2)Binder
3)solvent or water
4)surfactants/dispersing aids
5)fillers

P
Tonight I’m going to party like it’s on sale for $19.99!

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Sponsored Links