April 24, 2024, 04:49:07 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: precipitate copper from ammonium persulfate  (Read 2616 times)

Offline variacable

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
precipitate copper from ammonium persulfate
« on: September 09, 2016, 01:23:23 AM »
Hey guys and gals.

I am new here and not sure if this is the correct area to be asking this, but how would i go about precipitating copper out of ammonium persulfate so i can recover it and melt it down for later projects such as reactions, electroplating, making copper sulfate and other various things, any help will be much appreciated.

Cheers Liam

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: precipitate copper from ammonium persulfate
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 02:25:25 AM »
Making pH high enough should do the trick. Ammonia will interfere though. A lot depends on the concentrations of ions present.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 05:42:34 AM »
In what form is the copper?  Its not sitting there as copper metal, that's a solid.  Copper persulfate, while it may exist, doesn't sound to me like the most common form -- I'm suspecting its another salt.  Do the two salts have different solubilities?  That's something you can exploit.  Where did you get this particular mix, and what is this typically used for.  Copper isn't cheap, but its not exactly hard to find in a reasonably pure form, if you need it for a home experiment.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline variacable

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 08:38:40 PM »
I think its a weak copper sulfate that's very contaminated with ammonia like Borek was saying, this solution is a byproduct of me etching copper circuit boards. i do have a lot of copper out in my shed in a box, but was wanting to retrieve the copper out of the solution for something to do this weekend

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 03:00:58 AM »
The simplest approach is to reduce copper, but it will be tricky in the presence of the strong oxidizer. Precipitating the copper out of the solution first seems the best approach.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links