April 20, 2024, 08:01:50 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Complex Organic Compound?  (Read 7682 times)

ENGR

Complex Organic Compound?
« on: September 10, 2016, 11:25:55 AM »
Just wondering how difficult it is to make a compound like this?

http://www.chemspider.com/Chemical-Structure.4925597.html

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 02:15:07 PM by Arkcon »

Offline phth

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +39/-4
Re: Complex Organic Compound?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 01:27:13 PM »
not very difficult at all.  What part are you stuck on?

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +149/-10
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 06:53:33 AM »
There will be cis/trans isomers att the double bond, not so simple. It depends on what you can buy as startingmaterial?

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +136/-16
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 11:09:25 AM »
There are methods for making E-isomers.
For example this one looks pretty good for this compound. Making the starting alcohol should be pretty straightforward using PhLi and O-substitued hydroxybenzaldehyde. Phenylacetyle is available so is hydroxybenzaldehyde and chlorobromoethane and diethyl amine. Probably would need some optimization but doesnt see that difficult

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 11:05:42 AM »
Looks really good. Maby the hydroxy group on the benzaldehyde need some protection and also it could complex with titanium tetrachloride så perhaps one extra eq. Is nesesary?

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 11:34:20 AM »
I am looking more closely, does not this reaction give one carbon atom too many? The aromatic rings should sitt directly on the doublebond?

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 11:53:01 AM »
Yeah it does  :( I didnt realize that when I posted it

ENGR

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 08:09:27 PM »
Didn't realize until today I actually had some replies, thank you all.

I'm going to be honest, i'm an electrical engineer and have no experience in the chemical field. I took some organic chemistry, but remember little. I wont get into why I ask about this compound because it's a long story, but..

Say I wanted to make 25 mg of it, how would I know how many moles of the molecule (forgive my poor terminology and lack of knowledge in  trying to get my point across) are actually in the 25 mg or does it not work that way?

I.e. If I somehow managed to make 25 mg of it, how would I know if it was composed say 3 trillion moles as opposed to 50 billion moles?

Again, forgive my lack of everything chemistry. I did at one point want to be a chemical engineer, not that you could tell.  :o

Thank you.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2016, 08:22:08 PM »
If you'd like the definition of moles, and conversion to mg, we're glad to help you.  Start by the definition of moles.  Where did you hear of it?  What does it mean?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

ENGR

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2016, 08:43:52 PM »
Well, I kind of knew about it from chemistry class a while back, and looked in to it real quick.. it's an SI unit of mass referenced by carbon-12? I guess I'd be able to calculate the mg based on whatever the molecular mass of the whole molecule is right?

Thanks

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2016, 05:14:22 AM »
Yes basicaly that it is. 1 mole is when there is such amount of particles ( in organic chemistry its usualy molecules but it can be photons too for example) as it is atoms in 12g of carbon 12.
Your compound is salt with citric acid so its molecular weight is 405,97 (molecule) + 192,12 (citric acid) = 598,09 grams/mole. You can calculate it easily if you know that carbon atomic weight is 12, oxygen 16, hydrogen 1, nitrogen 14 and chlorine 35. Of course, it bit inaccurate because there are some decimal places in each of those numbers (I got my result calculated my chemical drawing software)

then if you only have 25 milligrams then you have 0,025 / 589,09 = 4,24 * 10-5 moles.
¨
Then from definition, one mole has 6.022×1023 particles so you can than calculate how many molecules are in your sample.

ENGR

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2016, 07:50:09 PM »
Thank you for all of the help. I'm going to try to look at it all more in depth over the weekend, maybe break out the old organic chemistry book and stare at it with total confusion for an hour or so.

ENGR

How to make this triphenylethylene?
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2017, 06:29:41 PM »
I had another thread about this some time ago, but I believe since my account was inactive for a while both the thread and my account were deleted. I will get straight to the point this time. How do I physically make this compound in the lab:

C26H28ClNO

Thank you in advance.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: How to make this triphenylethylene?
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2017, 08:10:03 PM »
I had another thread about this some time ago, but I believe since my account was inactive for a while both the thread and my account were deleted. I will get straight to the point this time.

Hello and welcome back, ENGR: to welcome you here to the Chemical Forums.  I hope you remembered our Forum Rules{click}.  You agreed to these rules as a condition of signing up for our forum, last time and this time, and they apply to you, whether you agree with them or not, or even if you're unaware of them.  There's a number of topics in that link you should review:

1). We help you help yourself
2). We don't teach a years worth of organic chemistry one posting at a time
3). We don't help a novice make something dangerous or controlled by governments
4). We don't help anyone make anything they intend to consume themselves.

How do I physically make this compound in the lab:

Synthetic organic chemistry is a complicated field.  What chemistry do you know?  Warning: synthetic organic chemistry is often nothing like a double displacement reaction.

C26H28ClNO

Are you aware that a molecular formula for an organic molecule can often mean different things?  Normally, someone experienced in organic chemistry draws the molecule.  Listing atoms, like you did really tells us leas than the name in the title -- triphenylethylene.  Why did you not know this?  You're better off just linking Wikipedia:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triphenylethylene  Your atomic formula more closely matches this substance however:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toremifene

Thank you in advance.

Here's a scholarly reference, http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jlcr.2580290915/abstract , it shows you how to generate radiolabeled molecule from a precursor.  Just keep working backward until you have the protocol you need.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

ENGR

Re: How to make this triphenylethylene?
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2017, 08:53:59 PM »
I hear ya. I was trying to copy in an image of the molecule, I could have saved and attached I guess, but I figured I would see what type of responses I got first before I got too in depth about it. I was expecting similar responses to yours.

I had started taking a bit of organic chemistry quite a long time ago, what I remember is little, hence another reason for my novice straight to the point and generic question. I'm an electrical engineer, obviously some relation, but nothing that will help me make compounds.

I was under the impression though that this is a pretty simple compound to make. And lets just say I focus all my self education around making this one thing I wouldn't be infringing on any patent if the patent period has expired by that time. Also, i'd have to look more into the law aspect of it, but I don't think I could be penalized in any way since it's not a controlled substance.

I appreciate your reply though and the fact that you didn't let your pride get in the way of you. It shows character as anybody good have simply come on here, laughed, and stated it's a joke for somebody like me to actually pull off making this. I have achieved much more difficult tasks in my life though ;).

Thank you

Sponsored Links