April 26, 2024, 01:41:09 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: using copper electrical wire for jewelry?  (Read 10975 times)

Offline xchcui

• Mole Snacks: +1/-5
using copper electrical wire for jewelry?
« on: September 10, 2016, 01:20:21 PM »
Hi.

According to wikipedia the standard electrical copper
wire contains at least 99% copper(maybe more).
My question is:
Is it safe to use electrical copper wire to make a jewelry?
Or do i need to use other special 99.99% pure copper wire which is intended for that application.
My concern is related to the fact,that the jewelry are in contact regulary with the skin.
So,i wonder if the other ~1% impurities of the electrical copper wire makes it,not safe for contact with skin?
I am not talking about an allergy from the copper.
My intention is to the impurities of the electrical copper wire.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: using copper electrical wire for jewelry?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 07:41:03 PM »
Copper wire for electrical purposes is greater than 99.9% pure, by definition.  Items used as jewelry are usually lacquered, given that any metal can be an allergen, regardless of the purity.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline xchcui

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 07:56:19 AM »
Copper wire for electrical purposes is greater than 99.9% pure, by definition.  Items used as jewelry are usually lacquered, given that any metal can be an allergen, regardless of the purity.
My main concern is the impurities in the electrical copper wire vs pure copper wire for jewelry.
Do the impurities materials in the electrical copper wire safe for making a jewerly as a pure copper wire that is made special for that purpose?
Do they meet the standard for that application?
Or i need to buy a special pure copper for that purpose?
BTW,Does silver jewelry,also,came with lacquer?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 09:31:23 AM »
My main concern is the impurities in the electrical copper wire vs pure copper wire for jewelry.

Then use Wikipedia, Google, your school textbook, etc., if you don't want to read what I wrote, quoted for you above.  Electrical copper has less impurities than other sources of metallic copper.  The nature of those impurities, given in those sources, is something other than metal.  If fact, you can get slightly purer copper for sensitive electronic use -- its had the vanishingly small trace of oxygen removed.  You know, the stuff you need to breather?

Do the impurities materials in the electrical copper wire safe for making a jewerly as a pure copper wire that is made special for that purpose?

Dunno.  What is the source of jewelry copper wire that you've find out about?  What guarantee do they make?  Why do they make that guarantee?  What do they say -- that they're removed the 0.00003 % arsenic or something like that, to make the copper hypoallergenic for jewelry making?  Do they say something like that?

Do they meet the standard for that application?

Dunno.

Or i need to buy a special pure copper for that purpose?

I don't know what's better than electrical.  Even copper for pipes is greater than 99% pure.  Copper isn't ductile enough if it isn't more pure.

BTW,Does silver jewelry,also,came with lacquer?

I would assume so, the metals we alloy with it to make it hard enough for wear are likely sensitizing, and prone to tarnishing it.  Even 24 karat gold has some alloying metals with to make it durable, but seems to not need lacquering.

Offline xchcui

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 11:23:23 AM »
I,definitely,read what you wrote and i understood that the electrical copper wire is 99.9% pure.
I,just,refered to that small percentage of the impurities(as you said 0.000..).
I didn't check exactly what the source of pure copper for jewelry guarantee,but i was assumed that if there is a source which sells a pure copper for making a jewelry,It is apparently,means that the tiny impurities in the electrical wire(such as:phosphorus, tin, tellurium,selenium and arsenic etc.)are maybe not good for my application,while i,maybe,need a copper wire that must be without certain harm elements.For all that,its purpose was for electrical wire,so the logical says,that it was made without a consideration,that it will be used as a jewelry.
But,again,this is only a logical thought.
And i just was trying to check if this tiny impurities of the electrical copper wire might cause a problem.
What is your thought?

« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 02:59:28 PM by xchcui »

Offline xchcui

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 03:44:35 PM »
Thanks,Arkcon,for your help. :)

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 08:55:04 PM »
No problem.  It really depends on what you want to make.  If you're going to coil it around the arms, wrists or fingers, there shouldn't be a problem.  Although, I know you kids today, what with your piercings every where I can imagine (a few spots I can't imagine) have to consider a non sensitizing metal for the post, like surgical steel.

Offline xchcui

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 11:14:30 AM »
Yep,i got the idea.
Thanks again.

Sponsored Links