March 29, 2024, 02:12:58 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: potassium chlorate oxygen candle formulas  (Read 2698 times)

Offline AManWithNoPlan

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
potassium chlorate oxygen candle formulas
« on: September 14, 2016, 08:47:57 PM »
Does anyone know formulas for oxygen candles. I need to know how big of one is needed for 8 people on a submarine for 24 hours. They say the space doesn't matter and the probably gives me: an average person needs .84 kg of oxygen daily.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: potassium chlorate oxygen candle formulas
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 08:58:35 PM »
I'd like to welcome you, AManWithNoPlan: to the chemical forums, but I'd like to ask you to review the Forum Rules{click}.  You agreed to these rules when you signed up.

We don't really give d-i-y recipes for pyrotechnics, extreme oxidations, explosives and the like.  This is a learning forum for students.  If you have a real need for oxygen candles, go ahead and buy them from someone who will sell them to you.  If no one will sell them to you, then we won't help you make them, we're under the same liability rules as anyone else.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: potassium chlorate oxygen candle formulas
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 09:04:43 PM »
Now, if you're interested in solving this problem theoretically for classwork, then we still need to see some work from you.  Let's start with wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_oxygen_generator#Oxygen_candle  They tell you right there what the yield is.  Maybe you can work out the math, and even compute it from the stoichiometry of the reaction.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links