April 24, 2024, 10:14:18 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Puzzled by effect of oleic acid on melting points.  (Read 1918 times)

Offline grampajack

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Puzzled by effect of oleic acid on melting points.
« on: September 14, 2016, 09:38:58 PM »
As you already know from my last thread, I'm trying to make a completely non toxic lubricant. I'm experimenting with different oils, and the first thing I did was look at how oleic acid content affected them. Mostly I wanted to see the effect on melting and smoke points. But I've run into something very interesting.

Oelic acid will lower the melting point of fractionated coconut oil, but it will raise the melting point of canola. I mixed up 33% and 50% samples of each, along with a control of each oil in pure form, and it works in proportion. In other words, the more oleic acid I add to coconut oil, the lower its melting point. The more I add to canola, the higher its melting point. At least up to 50%; I haven't experimented with more.

Anyone have any clue why that is???

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Puzzled by effect of oleic acid on melting points.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 06:14:00 AM »
This is interesting.  Generally, adding something lowers melting point.  But fats and oils may behave differently, as you've described before in your other thread.  Lets see it in tabular form: control, 33%, 50% for each case -- and how much of a difference are you're seeing.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links