March 28, 2024, 09:29:45 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Publishing spectra with noise?  (Read 2056 times)

Offline heyhey

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Publishing spectra with noise?
« on: September 19, 2016, 09:16:58 AM »
Hello all,

I am planning to publish a paper soon that contains FTIR-ATR spectra. My question is, if it is acceptable to have that data published if there is visible noise in a specific region (that does not contain sample bands) in the form of very jagged spiky peaks as long as you state in the manuscript that it is noise associated with the spectrometer?

Basically, I'm in this scenario where i am not sure if I should just have the original spectra and write how the jagged lines in that region is noise or if i should crop it out and then explain that I cropped it out to not confuse these peaks associated with noise to the spectral bands?

I cannot run the spectra again because I am no longer in lab and also because it will take certainly a month or two for another person to train them for the synthesis etc.

Some background: for whatever reason, the ftir that we have poops out some jagged peaks in the region near 2000 wavenumbers on every run no matter which sample is in...
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 09:27:54 AM by heyhey »

Offline marquis

• Mole Snacks: +35/-3
Re: Publishing spectra with noise?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 08:35:45 AM »
In a case like this, this first question that would come to mind is about the ATR.
Is it properly aligned and is the crystal in good condition? While it is possible
to have noise with a properly aligned atr, the most common cause of nosie is
improper alignment.

Since you are no longer near the lab,  there is no way to answer these questions.

Offline Irlanur

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +32/-4
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 03:56:53 AM »
Is it an absolutly crucial part of the paper? or just a verification for something?

I would not crop it out...

Offline heyhey

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 12:12:50 PM »
Is it an absolutly crucial part of the paper? or just a verification for something?

I would not crop it out...

It's just one of the two confirmations for reaction completion. Right, I won't crop it out. Thanks.

Sponsored Links