April 26, 2024, 06:33:07 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Oxidation of Alcohol with Acidified Potassium Permanganate KMNO4/H+  (Read 2345 times)

Offline RGraham9

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
Hey guys , just curious , what actually happens when we add KMnO4/H+ to primary and secondary alcohols ? Will any precipitate form ? Because having seen some of the different experiments on YouTube , some experiments seem to have produced a brown precipitate upon the addition of the KMnO4/H+ to the primary / secondary alcohol while some don't seem to produce the brown precipitate at all. Why is this so ?

Extra-Detail : I have been told that the brown precipitate is actually MnO2. But why is it present in some of the experiments and not present in others ?

Sorry for the trouble guys. Do let me know if any part of my question is unclear and needs further elaboration. Thank you !

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Oxidation of Alcohol with Acidified Potassium Permanganate KMNO4/H+
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 10:52:42 AM »
But why is it present in some of the experiments and not present in others ?

pH
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline RGraham9

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
Re: Oxidation of Alcohol with Acidified Potassium Permanganate KMNO4/H+
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 11:10:20 AM »
Ah so the difference between an experiment that has a precipitate of MnO2 and an experiment that does not have a precipitate of MnO2 is a result of the acidity of the acid used to acidify the KMnO4 correct ?
Thank you so much for the clarification !

Sponsored Links