March 28, 2024, 06:48:04 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: I'm having trouble with an alkene hydration reaction  (Read 6555 times)

Offline carbocation

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
I'm having trouble with an alkene hydration reaction
« on: September 21, 2016, 10:08:17 PM »

How do I know where the proton will attach itself to? It could be either of the circled carbons according to Markovnikov's rule. Am I missing something? Is this question wrong? I've looked everywhere and I haven't seen any with an asymmetrical alkene like this :(

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
Re: I'm having trouble with an alkene hydration reaction
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 11:50:11 PM »
Try this:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=markovnikov%27s+rule

That will tell you which carbon the proton will add to. Hint, something else could also happen.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline carbocation

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 07:40:18 AM »
Markovnikov doesn't help because both carbons in the double bond have the same number of hydrogens, and both are secondary.

Offline jasongnome

• Mole Snacks: +3/-0
  • Chemistry teacher.
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 09:37:24 AM »
You are correct, and the sarcastic linking to "let me google that for you" really wasn't appropriate in this thread IMO. You'd already pointed out why Markovnikov's rule doesn't apply.

I haven't seen one with an asymmetrical alkane like this either, normally they ensure that one of the carbon atoms does have more hydrogens. You don't give the full question, I assume this IS a question where the alkene is reacting with an acid or water, because if it isn't then Markovnikov's rule doesn't apply anyway.

Assuming that you are reacting that alkene with HX, I would assume you'd get an equal mixture as I can see no reason in the mechanism why either intermediate would be favoured.
When you are courting a nice girl, an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity. (Albert Einstein)

Offline TheUnassuming

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +48/-1
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 01:09:58 PM »
Continue drawing the mechanism to the next intermediate with the proton going to either carbon (draw both).  Which do you think is more likely/stable?  Why?
When in doubt, avoid the Stille coupling.

Offline carbocation

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 02:03:11 PM »
You are correct, and the sarcastic linking to "let me google that for you" really wasn't appropriate in this thread IMO. You'd already pointed out why Markovnikov's rule doesn't apply.

I haven't seen one with an asymmetrical alkane like this either, normally they ensure that one of the carbon atoms does have more hydrogens. You don't give the full question, I assume this IS a question where the alkene is reacting with an acid or water, because if it isn't then Markovnikov's rule doesn't apply anyway.

Assuming that you are reacting that alkene with HX, I would assume you'd get an equal mixture as I can see no reason in the mechanism why either intermediate would be favoured.

yes, it's reacting with acid in water

Offline carbocation

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 02:07:02 PM »
Continue drawing the mechanism to the next intermediate with the proton going to either carbon (draw both).  Which do you think is more likely/stable?  Why?

I don't know, both seem the same to me. Unless the carbocation switches to to the quaternary carbon.

Offline TheUnassuming

• Chemist
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 02:20:12 PM »
I don't know, both seem the same to me.

If you are only thinking about primary vs secondary vs tertiary, then yes they are the same.  However, there is something called inductive effect (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inductive_effect) which will come into play here. 

Offline carbocation

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2016, 04:25:27 PM »
I don't know, both seem the same to me.

If you are only thinking about primary vs secondary vs tertiary, then yes they are the same.  However, there is something called inductive effect (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inductive_effect) which will come into play here.

I feel like you're trying to tell me that the right carbon would be more likely to get the hydrogen since the left one has that very stable quaternary carbon next to it?

Offline TheUnassuming

• Chemist
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2016, 06:09:33 PM »
I feel like you're trying to tell me that the right carbon would be more likely to get the hydrogen since the left one has that very stable quaternary carbon next to it?

Perhaps, but if I am, its not because a t-butyl group is "stable".   t-Butyl groups are many things, but stable (almost always in acid) is not one of them... typically on part because of this reason.     

Also should ask for future steps in the plausible mechanism: have you covered hydride/methyl shifts in your lectures yet?

Offline carbocation

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2016, 11:31:01 PM »
Also should ask for future steps in the plausible mechanism: have you covered hydride/methyl shifts in your lectures yet?

Yeah, I know a bit about those.

Offline Vidya

• Mole Snacks: +46/-62
  • Online Chemistry and Organic Chemistry tutor
    • Online Chemistry Tutor
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2016, 03:49:59 AM »
check for carbocation stability

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +319/-22
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2016, 12:10:54 PM »
I think orgopete is on to something.  Something else could happen.

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2016, 05:42:48 PM »

Let me apologize for that. I simply misread it. I thought the reaction showed 2,2-dimethyl-1-butene, hence my sarcasm. I had simply looked at the example and anticipated the next reaction that was to occur and did not examine the post properly. Again, my error and my apology.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +319/-22
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2016, 06:52:47 PM »
@OP,

Can one of the carbocations rearrange?

Sponsored Links