April 26, 2024, 08:10:04 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Moles of atom in equation same as moles of equation?  (Read 1763 times)

Offline llevene

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Moles of atom in equation same as moles of equation?
« on: September 24, 2016, 08:09:07 PM »
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but basically if you had say 2 moles of NaCl, would that mean that you would have 2 moles of Na and 2 moles of Cl in that equation. I just started taking AP Chem and basically we are getting rid of the "bystander" reactants; but the values of moles stay the same right? For example, I have a question which involves .05 mol of Pb(NO3)2 and then when we get rid of the NO3 which is the "bystander" do I still have .05 moles of Pb?
Thanks in advance any help much appreciated!

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Moles of atom in equation same as moles of equation?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 03:25:12 AM »
Assuming I understand correctly what you are asking about - yes. This is just a matter of mass conservation, nothing appears out of nowhere and nothing disappears.

And - again assuming I understand you correctly - we call them "spectators", not bystanders (even if I got what you mean by the latter, using a standard nomenclature makes it easier for others to follow you).
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline llevene

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Moles of atom in equation same as moles of equation?
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 07:44:35 AM »
ok thanks and srry for saying bystander i completely forgot that they were called spectators
but yea that answered my question! :D

Sponsored Links