March 29, 2024, 06:18:43 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Qualitative Test for Rust  (Read 5048 times)

Offline dioxane

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Qualitative Test for Rust
« on: September 29, 2016, 06:11:31 AM »
Hi there!

I wanted to identify if the rust colored crumbles I recovered from cloth filters were rust so I soaked the filters in sulfuric acid and left them overnight. When I checked, the sulfuric acid turned greenish blue. I added some drops of KSCN and they turned red. I added around 2 mL of NaOH to another set and they either turned blue or purplish blue.

I attributed the greenish blue solution to the presence of Iron(II) sulfate since I used a relatively strong concentration of sulfuric acid while the resulting reaction with KSCN is the result of Iron(III) forming complex with the thiocyanate ion.

However, I cannot find the reason as to why the greenish blue solution turned blue / purplish blue when I added NaOH and so, I want to ask the reaction behind this. Also, since the reaction with sulfuric acid results in a mixture of Iron(II) and Iron(III), and given that Iron(II) sulfate is green solution while Iron(III) sulfate is brown, what color should the solution be in the first place?

I appreciate any in depth explanation for these observations.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Qualitative Test for Rust
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 09:36:44 AM »
Perhaps what was filtered out is a mixture containing not only iron.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline jasongnome

• Mole Snacks: +3/-0
  • Chemistry teacher.
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 03:25:03 AM »
I have a tub of iron (II) chloride that has partially oxidised (it's turning brown). One of the perils of trying to store chemicals in a hot and humid island country.

I put a spatula of it in some sodium hydroxide and I could see both the brown and green precipitates distinctly.

I think Borek is probably right, you have rust and something else.
When you are courting a nice girl, an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity. (Albert Einstein)

Offline jasongnome

• Mole Snacks: +3/-0
  • Chemistry teacher.
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 03:27:48 AM »
Incidentally, the Fe3+, SCN- reaction is one of my favourite Hallowe'en practicals to do with high school students.

A small amount of KSCN solution on the skin, drag a blunt knife dipped in FeCl3 solution along it, and it looks like you've been slashed...
When you are courting a nice girl, an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity. (Albert Einstein)

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 09:01:13 PM »
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links