April 25, 2024, 01:55:32 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Chemical equilibrium problem  (Read 1761 times)

Offline SamFisherKappa

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Chemical equilibrium problem
« on: October 03, 2016, 11:17:37 AM »
The reversible reaction: H2(g) + I2(g) ::equil:: 2HI(g)
"The system is at equilibrium at a given temperature in a 2 L container. If the system has 0.2 mol of H2, 0.2 mol of I2, and 0.6 mol of HI at equilibrium; how many moles of HI should be added to increase the mol number of H2 to 0.4?"

So far I've worked out that at equilibrium we have 0.1 mol/L for each reactant and 0.3 mol/L for the product. I also know that the reaction shifts to the left since we brake equilibrium by increasing the quantity of HI. Since the molarity of hydrogen doubles by this shift, will the molarity of every other substance double as well?

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: Chemical equilibrium problem
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 12:12:32 PM »
You can check this easily from stoichiometry of reaction.
AWK

Offline Hasanabul

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +2/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 03:57:02 PM »
Hi sir, consider that you have added x amount of HI and new equilibrium got established and you got .4 mol of H2. Now as before and after addition temperature remain constant , therefore these two reactions will have same equilibrium constant value.

Offline SamFisherKappa

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 08:16:59 AM »
Hi sir, consider that you have added x amount of HI and new equilibrium got established and you got .4 mol of H2. Now as before and after addition temperature remain constant , therefore these two reactions will have same equilibrium constant value.
Should have thought of using the constant, I know what to do now. Thank you for your input.

Sponsored Links