April 26, 2024, 01:22:23 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Energy Binding Data for students  (Read 2130 times)

Offline LindsayMontayne

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Energy Binding Data for students
« on: October 04, 2016, 08:12:35 PM »
Hi,

I am new to the forum. I am a high school chemistry teacher and also a lead curriculum developer with Michigan state trying to pave new units aligned with NGSS. I am in a pickle. I designed a unit under the phenomenon that salt is a compound safe to eat but the elements that comprise it are, by themselves, explosive, dangerous, or toxic to living things. Towards the end of the unit I want the students to look at energy binding data. My pickle is that I can't find any binding energy data that isn't associated with fusion or fission of the nucleus or anything that is on a high school level.

Following is a description of the main activity of the lesson that this data will be used for:
"Students will work in groups to look at binding energy data for the main group elements. Students will look at the energy changes before and after elements exchange electrons to become ions. Students will use this data to draw conclusions about atoms becoming more stable when they become ions due to the energy decreases."

Does anyone know if any such data even exists and where might I find some that high school students could understand and use?

Offline mjc123

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +296/-12
Re: Energy Binding Data for students
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 04:29:09 AM »
The term "binding energy" is usually used in reference to nuclei, rather than chemical bonding. I would use the term "bonding energy" in your description.
All the energy terms needed for a Born-Haber cycle - evaporation energy of Na, ionisation energy of Na, dissociation energy of Cl2, electron affinity of Cl, lattice energy of NaCl - are easily available.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 09:51:51 PM »
I generally use the CRC to acquire this kind of data, but a good free online source is the NIST Chemistry Webbook (http://webbook.nist.gov/chemistry/), as it is generally reliable and well referenced. Honestly though for high school level exercises Wikipedia is probably a good a source as any and most students will be familiar with how to use it.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline Vidya

• Mole Snacks: +46/-62
  • Online Chemistry and Organic Chemistry tutor
    • Online Chemistry Tutor
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 09:56:47 PM »
Binding energy of Ist group /II group elements means you are looking for ionization potential values  of these elements .

Sponsored Links