April 24, 2024, 09:30:58 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Extracting cyanide from water  (Read 3661 times)

Offline 12walshe

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Extracting cyanide from water
« on: October 04, 2016, 11:29:48 PM »
We had recently started a research on extracting cyanide from plants like cassava and bamboo shoots. To extract cyanide in the most simple way, we intend to soak these plants in water for about 5 hours. Im not sure if that works tho but if it does, then how do we then extract cyanide from water? Do we simply heat the solution just around the boiling point of cyanide? If so, then what instrument do we need to collect the cyanide vapour?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 05:36:48 AM by Arkcon »

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Extracting cyanide from water
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 05:52:17 AM »
We had recently started a research on extracting cyanide from plants like cassava and bamboo shoots.

OK.  A good start.  You can tell us a bit more about what you've read.

To extract cyanide in the most simple way, we intend to soak these plants in water for about 5 hours.

Seems like a decent plan.  If what you're looking for is water soluble.

Im not sure if that works tho but if it does, then how do we then extract cyanide from water? Do we simply heat the solution just around the boiling point of cyanide? If so, then what instrument do we need to collect the cyanide vapour?

That would depend on the properties of cyanide, which don't seem to follow your plan at all.  I'd research more about what cyanide's properties are, and see where it takes you.

I hope you don't mind my answering questions with more questions, but that's what we do here.  Its how we help you help yourself.  Its all in the Forum Rules{click}.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline 12walshe

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Extracting cyanide from water
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 11:04:00 AM »
I hope you don't mind my answering questions with more questions, but that's what we do here.  Its how we help you help yourself.  Its all in the Forum Rules{click}.

Absolutely not. From what I've read, bamboo shoots contain cyanide glycoside named taxiphyllin. This taxiphyllin is known to degrade readily in boiling water to make it edible for consumption, but our only concern is extracting that cyanide juice from it for an experiment to be used as an alternative for gold cyanidation.

I really appreciate that reply, coz we really are lost here. If you could give us any recommendation at all, we would give it a try. I hope this quote from another research could mean anything at all. Thank you.

"The cyanogenic glycosides are bitter to the taste but
not poisonous by themselves (Nahhrstedt (1993). When plant tissue is disrupted (by
cutting or browsing for example) tissue containing cyanogenic glycosides is hydrolyzed
by a specific enzyme (glucosidase) to make glucose, an aldehyde or ketone and hydrogen
cyanide (HCN). Normally, in live intact tissue, the enzyme is stored by the plant in a
separate location to the glycoside. As soon as the tissue is cut off, the enzyme can get
into contact with the cyanogenic glycosides thereby causing the rapid release of
hydrogen cyanide. This binary system- two sets of components which are inert
individually- comprises the "cyanide bomb" and plays a role in the chemical warfare of
plants against herbivores, pests and pathogens.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 06:35:26 PM by Arkcon »

Sponsored Links