March 29, 2024, 07:32:40 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Reactivity of SiMe3 substituted alkenes?  (Read 2358 times)

Offline loves2Spl00ge

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Reactivity of SiMe3 substituted alkenes?
« on: October 10, 2016, 10:49:37 PM »
Do (Z) trimethylsilane substituent alkenes undergo faster reaction rates (reaction with sp2 hybridized carbons) than (E) trimethylsilane alkenes? I've always wondered if it was due to the positioning of the SiMe3 group relative to neighboring atoms. (A(1,3) strains and A(1,2) strains) and where the carbocation intermediate ends up.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 11:22:52 PM by loves2Spl00ge »

Offline spirochete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +51/-9
Re: Reactivity of SiMe3 substituted alkenes?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 07:11:21 PM »
Looks like this has something to do with beta silicon effect (how the C-Si bond is very electron donating and statbilizes carbocation intermediates. I would guess it's more specific to certain ring conformations and not general to E or Z.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 08:13:24 PM »
I've run PM3 on E and Z Me3Si-propenyl, and the Z doesn't look very strained. Its computed heat of formation is also only 1.6kJ higher.

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 02:15:43 PM »
I'm going to make a guess even though I really don't know (as if that's different?). I think this is a problem aided by models (which I'm too lazy to dig out). I don't know if the ratio is a difference in cyclization or selectivity to the cis-fused ring. I suspect it may indicate a greater preference for the latter. If simply drawn in a plane, the Z-isomer places the TMS group over the phenyl group. This doesn't happen with the E-isomer.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline loves2Spl00ge

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 05:37:28 PM »
A model did make it 10x easier. The sigma C-Si orbital from the intermediate could easily reach the empty p orbitals of the carbocation forming that pi bond. thanks !

Sponsored Links