March 28, 2024, 08:10:53 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Probably easy question for you guys/gals.  (Read 1161 times)

Offline kkennedy91

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Probably easy question for you guys/gals.
« on: October 12, 2016, 02:05:02 PM »
Element X reacts with Chlorine to give a chloride salt.  In an experiment, 0.746mol of Element X combines with 79.8 g of chlorine gas to yield 131.8g of chloride salt.  Determine the chemical formula of the chloride salt, and indicate in the box the molar mass of element X.

Should also mention this was on a quiz.  I only got 2/5 on this question.  Got the right answer, I just want to straighten out my methodology with regards to unit cancelling and such.

So I got the chemical equation... 2X+Cl_2->2XCl

mol's of chlorine = 1.125molx2MolCl/1molCl_2 =2.25mol

...now I got confused as to what to do with that after you cross the Mol bridge...etc.  I know that 131.8-79.8g= mass of X.  and then just divided 52.6/0.746 and gave me 69.7 g/mol which is the right answer...I lost all of my marks because I'm fairly certain once I used that conversion factor that I should have then used the overall mass of the salt?  Help.....please :(

Offline kkennedy91

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Probably easy question for you guys/gals.
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 03:26:06 PM »
Figured this one out actually :) sorry!!! find the mol's of Cl, multiply by two, then take those mol's and multiply by 35.45 whcih would give the weight of Chlorine in the product, subtract the total product, then take that and divide by the mols :)

Sponsored Links