April 26, 2024, 04:08:47 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: the seperations of atoms  (Read 2693 times)

Offline argentlupis

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
the seperations of atoms
« on: October 16, 2016, 06:07:24 AM »
I have a question, and unfortunately, I only have a basic understanding of chemistry.

While i understand chemical bonds at a basic level, i find myself wondering if it is possible for a chemical bond such as NaCl, to be broken into their respective elements Na, and Cl; but in such a way that both would be able to be bonded with other elements?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: the seperations of atoms
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 06:13:20 AM »
Yes.  This process is called ... chemistry.  ;)  OK, lets talk more, and get to the bottom of your topic.  Can you define the chemical bond between Na and Cl?  What sort of other bond would you like, and why?

This is how we help here, we ask you questions, that lead you to your own answers.  Its all in the Forum Rules, posted in Red, at the top of each page.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline argentlupis

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 07:46:59 AM »
First I apologize for putting this in the wrong area. That being said i should elaborate.

While I understand the ionic bond between sodium and chlorine with sodium having positive electrons and chlorine having negative ones. what I'm attempting to understand is if it is possible to have sodium chloride break down back into their base components. If this can be done without the loss of the electrons or a resulting chemical byproduct could the same process be used on ANY chemical formula or only on salt.

The basis of this thought process is fairly simple. Is it possible to recycle materials on an atomic level? breaking things into their base components and reusing them in such a way that they are the same as they were before they combined. I'm not just talking about melting down plastics but breaking down complex chemical formulas such as the trash we throw away everyday. The things we cant recycle.

Breaking things down to base elements and reusing them could have staggering effects on how we live. I realize that much of this is probably  easily explained but every time I attempt to google the solution, all i find is basic explanations of the four different types of chemical bonds and their variants.

A banana may be a better example. a banana contains: calcium, carbon, hydrogen, iron, magnesium, nitrogen, oxygen, phosphorus, potassium, selenium, sodium, sulfur, and zinc, as well as several complex fats. Is it possible to break a banana down to these basic components?

I know that this could take a long time to explain. Any books or articles that i could read on the subject would be appreciated. i get that having me figure it out and asking questions, me researching the content and extrapolating the data is important, and i learn best by asking questions, listening and asking more questions. i apologize if any of this doesn't make sense, or if its so simple that it makes some of you laugh. but i don't even know where to start. thank you for your time, and whatever help you can give me.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 10:35:20 AM by argentlupis »

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 09:50:42 AM »
what I'm attempting to understand is if it is possible to have sodium chloride break down back into their base components.

It is not clear from your post what do you consider to be the base components - ions, or neutral atoms?

The basis of this thought process is fairly simple. Is it possible to recycle materials on an atomic level? breaking things into their base components and reusing them in such a way that they are the same as they were before the combined.

Sounds like you are asking about pure elements. Well, electrolysis of NaCl is used in the industry to produce chlorine and metallic sodium, so yes, it is possible to "recycle" them. No, it can't be done without byproducts or at least large energy input.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline argentlupis

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 10:33:26 AM »
okay so i can't seem to insert a quote but Borek asked what i consided to be the base components. ions or neutral atoms.
what i was attempting to convey was breaking down a complex molecule (NaCl) into its natural state; where in Na would have eleven electrons, and Cl would have seventeen electrons thus bringing it to a neutral state... I think.

(i didn't take chemistry in high school, and a thought wandered in my brain a few weeks ago. I've been searching the internet for the answer,and figured it would be simpler to just ask.)

Offline mjc123

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +296/-12
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 07:31:07 AM »
NaCl is a natural state. Sodium chloride is a stable compound that occurs abundantly in nature. Elemental sodium and chlorine don't because they are very reactive. That's why, as Borek said, it costs a lot of energy to convert NaCl to its elements.
It is a fallacy to think that elements are the "natural" state of things, at least in terrestrial conditions. Converting something back to its constituent elements is not usually an efficient or sensible form of recycling (if it can be considered "recycling" at all). It would either be unfeasible with current technology, or too expensive to be economically viable, and/or use so much energy that the net environmental impact of the "recycling" would be negative.

Offline Vidya

• Mole Snacks: +46/-62
  • Online Chemistry and Organic Chemistry tutor
    • Online Chemistry Tutor
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 07:47:31 PM »
let me make it more clear ...
Metals when bonded with non metals ...ionic compounds are formed.First thing which you must correct that NaCl is not a molecule ,it is a compound .Second in ionic compounds there is no chemical bond but attractions between ions and when you break these attractions you will get Na+ and Cl-.If you want to get elements Na and Cl2 then you need to carry out a chemical reaction on NaCl (molten)
NaCl (molten)----> Na(s) + Cl2(g)

Sponsored Links