April 26, 2024, 10:04:22 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Theory Behind Coldtrapping of Small Hydrocarbons for GC  (Read 1689 times)

Offline theairisrunningout

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Theory Behind Coldtrapping of Small Hydrocarbons for GC
« on: October 17, 2016, 04:27:20 PM »
Hi all,

I am interested in learning more about the actual theory of coldtrapping as a means of preconcentration of analytes, specifically small hydrocarbons (let's say from methane to propane). I have found various papers on the actual instrumentation involved, which is fairly consistent across the board of sample types (whether it be atmospheric or freshwater). What I'm having the most difficulty finding is background theory on how cryotrapping actually works. I've read papers and books about cryopumping, but I believe this to be very different.

If I had a simple standard air sample (let's say it contains N2, O2, CO2, H2O, and CH4, that I injected into my GC, which, before being pushed onto the column, was forced through a cryotrap (say, stainless steel tubing filled with a substrate submerged in LN2), how exactly would each gas behave within the trap? Since CO2, H2O, and CH4 have freezing points above 77 K, would these all freeze on the substrate, whereas O2 would liquefy and N2 be in vapor-liquid equilibrium, or am I looking at it with too much of a simplistic view? Are the only things that matter freezing points and boiling points of the gases relative to 77 K, or am I missing something? Then, if I were to warm the trap up to, say, 120 K, CH4, O2, and N2 would all (re)-vaporize, and, if I further cryofocus the CH4, I should have enhanced levels, no?

I apologize for the lengthy post, but if anyone could attempt to explain some of the theory, or provide relevant papers or even simple cartoons/animations, I would appreciate it greatly! Thanks!

Offline marquis

• Mole Snacks: +35/-3
Re: Theory Behind Coldtrapping of Small Hydrocarbons for GC
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 02:06:34 PM »
I can't tell you about the theory.  Sometimes there is a quick and inexpensive way to try it.

Sponsored Links