April 16, 2024, 04:30:44 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Trying to make my own waterproofing sealer  (Read 2008 times)

Offline Tesseract123

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Trying to make my own waterproofing sealer
« on: October 22, 2016, 02:58:31 PM »
Hi follks,

I am a paver sealing and waterproofing contractor down in Florida, and I want to try making my own sealer to cut down on costs and improve longevity for my customers.

I mostly use a two-part water reducible urethane sealer called sealnlock or ureseal h20.

They work great but it gets expensive if you want to provide a result that lasts longer than 2-3 years.

So I looked up the chemical formulations from the MSDS for both. Bear with me here, I may need a chemical engineer but what the heck.

Part A for both is an acrylic polymer CAS Number: Proprietary/Unknown
Product Name: Ure Seal (A component) Description: Polyurethane Dispersion Synonyms: None Molecular Formula: N/A Chemical Family: Section 2 - Hazardous Ingredients Chemical Names(s): CAS Number A) Amine (<4%) Trade Secret B) Glycol Ether (<10%) Trade Secret No OSHA or CGIH limits have been set for these materials Section 3 - Physical Properties Description: Polyurethane Dispersion Specific Gravity: 1.1 Appearance: White, milky PH: N/A Solubility in water: Good Boiling Point: 200°F Evaporation Rate: NIL
Part B is easily purchased through wholesale vendors and shown below.
Polymeric Hexamethylene Diisocyanate <75    28182-81-2 0.5 mg/M3
Hexamethylene Diisocyanate <.25 822-06-0 0.02 PPM

Question: Can anyone point me in the right direction on where to get a high solid 40-50% acrylic polymer from anywhere other than China or India? Will this work with some testing? Thanks

Offline P

• Mole Snacks: +64/-15
  • I am what I am
Re: Trying to make my own waterproofing sealer
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 08:03:17 AM »
I know of plenty of European distributors that sell the kind of polymers you require. There must be polymer manufacturers and suppliers in your area. You guys in the US have your own distribution structure and companies. I would guess that you would be wanting to purchase small amounts too, which might make them disinterested in you as a customer - paint/sealant suppliers buy 100s of tonnes per year, where as you will be wanting how much? A few buckets or barrels?

Type "US polymer manufacturers" or "distributors" into google and then phone around some of the hits to see what they say...  they might be able to direct you with some kind of start formulation also, but if you only want to buy a barrel a year they might not be too interested.
Tonight I’m going to party like it’s on sale for $19.99!

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Sponsored Links