April 19, 2024, 06:47:42 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: High density Polyurethan foam  (Read 2588 times)

Roarap

High density Polyurethan foam
« on: October 24, 2016, 12:08:56 PM »
First of all, I am not a chemist. I am an archer who are tired of shooting all my targets a part and buy new expensive targets all the time.
I am wondering if it could be possible to make my own archery targets by mixing some chemicals that ends up in a foam that can be shaped and used as a target.
I have spent some time googling for this and find a lot of two components products for making polyurethane foam, but all of them seems to be of low density that will not be suitable for my use. It must be a material that sort of retracts when you pull out the arrow and could stand a lot of shots.

It is possible to buy a two component repair kit from a few specialized suppliers but is it possible to make it my self?
Link to existing product: http://www.3darcherytargetrepairfoam.com/

Maybe this subject will be deleted immediately because it does not belong in such a forum, or maybe someone can give me some appreciable input..? :-)

Thanks
Roar
Norway

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
Re: High density Polyurethan foam
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 01:48:11 PM »
Welcome, Roarap!

I feel it far too difficult to produce a two-component polyurethane foam in your kitchen. But maybe you can find PU foam for cheaper than when it's sold specifically to archers? As insulating material to build houses, maybe it's cheaper? Though, the prices there aren't very encouraging
https://www.alibaba.com/showroom/high-density-polyurethane-sheet.html

Using a bought two-component PU resin to cast plates or slabs requires some learning but isn't very difficult. Though, I expect comercial slabs to be cheaper than the resin that a consumer could buy. To be checked.

Or could you use other materials?

Straw would be cheap.

Wood chips in a coarse hessian?

Recycle old newspapers? Crumpled, possibly wet then dried, and compressed to the desired density and shape? Once destroyed by your arrows, they can still be recycled as paper - unless you have to add some glue.

If one material suits the use, produce and sell the cheaper targets on a wide scale.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
Re: High density Polyurethan foam
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 02:31:52 PM »
Maybe tree leaves as an alternative to old newspapers.

Add a little bit of paraffin, to hold the chips / paper / leaves together? Or starch? Or add some strings covered with glue before pressing the materials together?

Sponsored Links