April 23, 2024, 02:58:09 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Random question for short novel, combining molten salt with molten iron  (Read 3277 times)

Offline profound robot

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Like the subject says, I'm writing a novel and want to know what would happen if I were to mix molten salt with molten iron?  Basically, I'm just trying to figure out a way to combine the two (salt and iron) and want to figure out the best way to go about it and the what it would make.  Cheers!

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: Random question for short novel, combining molten salt with molten iron
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 01:46:08 AM »
Do you know temperature of molten iron?
What does it mean for most compounds?
AWK

Offline profound robot

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 11:10:28 AM »
After a quick google search, I know iron melts at about 1510 c and salt is about 800 c.  I'm not sure what you mean by "what does it mean for most compounds"

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 11:16:05 AM »
Boiling point of NaCl is 1413 C.
AWK

Offline magician4

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +70/-11
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 02:06:31 PM »
"salt" (i.e. technical NaCl) was used to purify molten iron whilst recycling of iron scrap
due to the patent granted,*) you'll need approx 3,5 kgs of NaCl per 175 kgs iron scrap

regards

Ingo

*)
granted to John Luckock , RoundCottage/Birmingham

receipt cited after:

Johann C. Leuchs
"Hundert neue Verbeßerungen und Erfindungen in der Bereitung des Eisens und Stahls, und der Eisenwaren"
(" a hundred new improvements and inventions in processing of iron and steel and ironware ")

Nürnberg 1835
page 36
There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
(Douglas Adams)

Offline Intanjir

• Mole Snacks: +45/-1
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 05:42:22 PM »
Salt is an ionic substance and does not conduct electrons while iron is a metallic substance. The two categories have different kinds of bonding and are not likely to mix even if you could get them to both be liquid. Think oil and water.

However, a small amount of zinc metal can be dissolved into molten zinc chloride. This is a special case where a reaction can happen yielding a new ionic compound.  http://pubs.rsc.org/en/Content/ArticleLanding/1967/J1/j19670001122#!divAbstract

Anyone know of a good example of a metal which incorporates something ionic?

Offline magician4

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +70/-11
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 06:06:23 PM »

Anyone know of a good example of a metal which incorporates something ionic?

not sure if this counts, but treating magnesium with dill. aq. HCl (overall-reaction: Mg + 2 HCl  :rarrow: MgCl2 + H2   :spinup: ) is a multistep-reaction, with the initial formation of  something like this:

Mgx + H+  :rarrow: [Mg]x(2+) / H-
where the hydride is fixed to the (electrically charged) magnesium-surface

(only in a second step will additional H+ react with the hydride formed, hydrogen will result,  and a Mg2+ - ion will be released form the metal body)

regards

Ingo
There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
(Douglas Adams)

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2016, 07:26:54 PM »
[...] example of a metal which incorporates something ionic?
A semiconductor yes, it's called doping and works in solids at room temperature.
In metals, I feel plausible that a small concentration of easily ionized metal atoms will ionize in a bulk af metal atoms with a big electron work function. Something like thorium in tungsten.
Similar theories have been investigated to explain high-temp superconductivity.

Offline Intanjir

• Mole Snacks: +45/-1
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2016, 11:51:12 AM »
Doesn't count magician :P. I was looking for something that remained metallic yet dissolved something ionic.

Doping is a good example, particularly if you dope with two elements which would form an ionic substance. So cadmium telluride can incorporate sodium at cadmium lattice sites and chlorine at tellurium sites so it seems reasonable to suppose that at least a small amount of NaCl can be dissolved in CdTe.

Sponsored Links