April 24, 2024, 08:03:56 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Glycosidic bond in DNA?  (Read 2737 times)

Offline otava

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Glycosidic bond in DNA?
« on: November 03, 2016, 05:56:11 AM »
I have a exercise where I'm asked to pick the words that describe the structure of deoxyribonucleic acid and one of the words was glycosidic bond. I chose that as one of the words that describes the structure yet it was emitted from the correct answer at the back of the book. I'm confused as to have I understood something wrong or is the answer in the book incorrect. Thanks in advance!

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Glycosidic bond in DNA?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 06:02:11 AM »
Nope.  The word exists, and describes something real.  See if you can use its definition in the context of what you need.  https://www.google.com/search?q=glycosidic+bond&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline otava

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 06:17:32 AM »
So it would be a glycosidic bond only when the sugar bonds with a hydroxyl group and since the nitrous base of the DNA doesn't bond with deoxyribose in this way (nor does the phosphate group) it's not a glycosidic bond?

I'm super confused because the Finnish Wikipedia page about this topic specifically states that the bond between deoxyribose in DNA and ribose in RNA with the nitrous base is a glycosidic bond.
???__???

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 06:27:56 AM »
Glycosidic bond comes from sugar carbonyl group to O, N, S (sometimes even C-glycosidic bond is named through analogy). Note, sugar is always in cyclic form, with exception of some antiviral drugs (eg. aciclovir).

Terveisin
AWK

Offline otava

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 06:37:41 AM »
Thanks! :3

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 09:16:21 AM »
Sometimes the bond in DNA or RNA is described as an N-glycosidic bond; the "N" obviously indicates that a nitrogen is bonded to the carbohydrate.

Sponsored Links