April 16, 2024, 07:26:08 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Sodium hypochlorite degrade time?  (Read 2726 times)

Offline Sparky9087

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Sodium hypochlorite degrade time?
« on: November 11, 2016, 05:28:17 PM »
Here is the thing. I messed up, i washed a floor with 1 gallon bleach and 3 gallons water. So a 1.5% bleach solution. I was told to use straight 6% and thought that would be too strong. I realized after it was a horrible mistake. Still way too strong. I immediately rinsed the floor with clean water. I left. 2 hours later I came back, set up a fan and rinsed again. Let it dry, rinse, let it dry rinse. 4 rinses total all with clean water only. Dilution is the key I understand. This was all finished yesterday at 4 pm. The floor is completely dry now. How long before the bleach is completely gone and degraded and it is safe for flooring guys to do their thing without compromising their adhesive? It is currently scheduled for Monday or 80 hours after the floor was last rinsed. What about the beach absorbed 1/16 inch into the concrete? One section of the floor needs to be ground down 1/2 an inch. Will the dust contain bleach?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Sodium hypochlorite degrade time?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 03:04:13 AM »
I am afraid you won't get any answer from us, as there are way too many factors involved. This is one of these cases where the experiment is the only way to get a reasonable answer.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 07:46:46 AM »
Borek: has already given you the best consul we can -- too many variables for us to give a useful answer.

This forum has some rules, you agreed to them when you signed up, and you should have read them at that point, but like most people, you probably didn't.  That's OK, I do that too.  But your post is one of the best examples, of why we have rules about "word salad".  Your breathless box of text, covers all possible bases, and leaves us with even less to talk about.  By all means, read it to the workers on Monday ... but they won't want to listen to it.  Read it out loud, right now, to yourself, and see if you think it really helps a discussion.

A few points, for your benefit:

How long before the bleach is completely gone and degraded and it is safe for flooring guys to do their thing without compromising their adhesive?

Never.  Forever.  A week.  Unless.  If.

Its unlikely anyone can help more than that.  I'm sorry, but there are too many variables.  There are probably floor finishing forums, they can help you with the benefit of experience.  A balanced chemical equation, which we usually ask of a student, on these forums, won't describe a floor.

Will the dust contain bleach?

Possibly.  Or it may be all gone.  Or it may be sequestered, only to reappear in the grinding process.  Which is why people protect themselves when grinding a floor, because its at least slightly hazardous on its own, and possible more hazardous, depending on what's hit the floor in its lifetime.

A suggestion:  hydrogen peroxide will react with hypochlorite, destroying it, and itself into water and oxygen.  But how much?  Too little and you don't solve the problem.  Too much and you have excess peroxide, until it decomposes.  Can the find each other, soaked into the floor, or will they sequester separately?   Again, there are too many variables.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +320/-22
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 08:44:06 AM »
I agree with Borek and Arkcon, but there is a little bit of research out there that may be of some help.  I would bear in mind that the rate of decomposition of bleach may change with the identity of the flooring material.  In other words, you mileage may vary.
"Attempted cleaning of bloodstains and its effect on the forensic luminol test"  Creamer et al., (2005) Luminescence Nov-Dec;20(6):411-3.
"ABSTRACT: The forensic luminol test has long been valued for its ability to detect trace amounts of blood that are invisible to
the naked eye. This is the first quantitative study to determine the effect on the luminol test when an attempt is made to clean
bloodstained tiles with a known interfering catalyst (bleach). Tiles covered with either wet or dry blood were tested, and either
water or sodium hypochlorite solution (bleach) was used to clean the tiles. As expected, the chemiluminescence intensity produced
when luminol was applied generally decreased with the number of times that a tile was cleaned with water, until the
chemiluminescence was neither visible nor detectable. However, when the tiles were cleaned with bleach there was an initial drop
in chemiluminescence intensity, followed by a rise to a consistently high value, visibly indistinguishable from that of blood.
Examination of bleach drying time suggested that any interfering effect becomes negligible after 8 h."
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15966054
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 09:14:26 AM by Babcock_Hall »

Sponsored Links