April 23, 2024, 02:41:04 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Orbitals and Valance electrons  (Read 2002 times)

Offline Yusuf72

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Orbitals and Valance electrons
« on: November 12, 2016, 12:13:29 PM »
Hi guys, I have a question about valance electrons and orbitals.      Here in Turkey when we      number the groups,  we do this  like 1-B  2B  3B ..8B       1A 2A 3A ...8A  and there is also another system from 1 to 18 anyway my question is that why we don't consider the   filled orbitals , for example if there is a configuration like this  4s'2 3d'1      we say iths group number is four okey I know but if there is a configuration like this 4s'1 3d'10  we say its group number is 1B(group11)   but why we don't consider the other filled orbitals (10 electron of 3d 10) and if you use the system from number 1-18 the question may seem absurd   I mean why we dont consider thwe filled orbitals,

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: Orbitals and Valance electrons
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 12:43:51 PM »
4s'2 3d'1  we say iths group number is four
Sc - 4s23d1 is group 3B

This is an old numbering. Most of periodic tables still show both numbering since the new numbering is recommended by IUPAC (not yet decided by your government as currently obligatory).
AWK

Offline Yusuf72

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 12:54:54 PM »
Why we consider only the last energy level and the  orbital that is not filled

Offline Burner

• Mole Snacks: +15/-2
  • Chem-is-try
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 03:13:06 AM »
We put different elements in the groups in the periodic table because they have similar chemical properties - which are mainly governed by the valence electrons in the outermost unfilled orbitals.
Year 1 science student in HKUST and a Chemistry geek.
If I make any mistakes in the forum, please don't hesitate to correct me as I want to learn.

Offline Yusuf72

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 11:25:47 AM »
Guy I know that why do we use group number my questions is about orbital configuration, which orbitals should we consider when we calculate the group number,   and why we consider the electrons of orbitals at t last energy level or  incomplete ones

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 12:24:56 PM »
These are the electrons that can rearrange in chemical reactions. The other ones are more strongly bonded to the nuclei and stay where they are. More in detail, rearranging these would cost energy and doesn't happen (in a first analysis).

Then, you have all added subtleties of almost-outer electrons that can react too. It's the case in carbon for instance, where the 2s electrons are the shallowest (and carbon does show the valence 2) but the 2p, a bit deeper in energy, often react too (so carbon often has the valence 4).

It gets more fuzzy with transition elements where many orbitals are shallow, so they can fill more or less and in a varying sequence. Such elements show a broad set of valences and often serve as catalysts as they can pick or release a molecule fragment just by changing their oxidation state.

Sponsored Links