April 25, 2024, 12:42:15 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Chemical symbols  (Read 2225 times)

NickPerry

Chemical symbols
« on: November 12, 2016, 07:34:29 PM »
ok, I'm going to start with a bit of a story:
my friend wanted to learn about herbalism stuff and mythology (yeah, she's wiccan, whatever, she can do her thing and I'll support her)

anyways, she joined a school, and she was having some difficulty because nothing was making any sense, and she eventually found out the school she was attending was a scam, and any papers gained from it would not be worth anything. so she bailed.

but she is still interested in it, and she still had the 'text books' and since I'm the science guy she knows, and I know a bit about chemistry she asked me some questions, and quite a bit of it didn't line up with my previous knowledge. but I'm not one to assume that I'm correct, so I'm going to ask here:

this is a snippet of one of the first pages of her 'text book'

and (ignoring that the images aren`t formatted correctly)
it`s saying (from what I gather) that:
-The symbol for an reversible reaction is +- (where I learned it was 2 arrows pointing both ways, and '-' is never used in chemical equations)
-The symbol for a one way reaction is the Celtic cross. (it`s only used one other time in this `text book
-the arrow that is covering the word `substances`I have no Idea where it belongs to, since it`s not used anywhere else in the book.

The way I found out that they meant (I`m quite sure anyways) the celtic cross being the symbol for a one way reaction is because the one other time it`s used in this `book` is here:

which I`m quite sure is supposed to be an example of a Transferase reaction, which (To my knowledge) is one-way.

-- if you`re wondering why I keep air quoting `text book`it`s because it reads and looks like a crummy high-schoolers slide show presentation.
-- if you want a copy of this `book`send me a PM and I`ll send it, I just won`t make it public for copyright reasons.
-- I posted this in the organic chemistry section because I`m more familiar with inorganic chemistry, and this subject is more focused in organic chemistry, so perhaps you guys use different symbols? (though I doubt it)

sorry for the wall of text, but thank you for reading!
Nick Perry.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Chemical symbols
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 07:45:49 PM »
I think you're correct.  This is a high school level power point presentation on God(ess) knows what.  The Celtic cross isn't used in contemporary organic chemistry.   The arrow looks like a cursor from a PowerPoint that got printed by accident.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

NickPerry

Re: Chemical symbols
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 08:02:59 PM »
Thank you for the quick reply =D Glad not everything I knew before was a lie :p
(and thank you for the admin who moved it)

Sponsored Links