April 20, 2024, 03:29:14 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How to measure the CO2 in a pepsi can.  (Read 2379 times)

Offline ali007zx

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
How to measure the CO2 in a pepsi can.
« on: November 19, 2016, 06:28:54 AM »
hello! so i have got this essay thing from my teacher and i am stuck, i dont know what to do and i dont have much time,
as the subject says how can i measure the CO2 in a pepsi can?
i was thinking of measuring the weight of a pepsi that is closed then open it and measure the second weigh after 1 day or so and the loss of wight is CO2?
so im not sure , Please help.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: How to measure the CO2 in a pepsi can.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 09:02:13 AM »
I think that is a fair method.  If you write it up carefully, the teacher should give you at least some points.  Now, for maximum points:

1).  Measure ... what?   For starters, how much are you?  See my question?  Its meaningless.  I didn't ask how old you were, how tall you were, how much you way, how good your grades are, how much money you have, I just asked, How much you?  I have to guess you mean how much CO2, and not, how pure it is, or something else.  You'll get the most points, when you learn to ask complete, clear questions.

2).  How much do you expect there to be?  People don't answer things blind, they have to know a little bit about what they're measuring.  Google will quickly tell you how much CO2 is in a Pepsi can.  Can you weigh that amount easily and accurately?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline ali007zx

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 10:12:14 AM »
I think that is a fair method.  If you write it up carefully, the teacher should give you at least some points.  Now, for maximum points:

1).  Measure ... what?   For starters, how much are you?  See my question?  Its meaningless.  I didn't ask how old you were, how tall you were, how much you way, how good your grades are, how much money you have, I just asked, How much you?  I have to guess you mean how much CO2, and not, how pure it is, or something else.  You'll get the most points, when you learn to ask complete, clear questions.

2).  How much do you expect there to be?  People don't answer things blind, they have to know a little bit about what they're measuring.  Google will quickly tell you how much CO2 is in a Pepsi can.  Can you weigh that amount easily and accurately?

great notes, tnx, so there is a supermarket near our house i will use their weight for weighting the pepsi, also i will check that out. im gonna try it out and share the results

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 11:52:18 AM »
CO2 is soluble in water. For removing practically all carbon dioxide from solution, analytical chemists warm solution to about 40 C.
But mass of carbon dioxide may be to small to get reliable result by weighing.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 12:24:53 PM by AWK »
AWK

Offline Vidya

• Mole Snacks: +46/-62
  • Online Chemistry and Organic Chemistry tutor
    • Online Chemistry Tutor
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 11:29:49 PM »
You need a very accurate scientific weighing scale to measure the change.

Sponsored Links