April 25, 2024, 12:57:53 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Determine Ti in Ilmenite sample using ICP Mass Spectrometry  (Read 2227 times)

Offline thanujan2410

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Determine Ti in Ilmenite sample using ICP Mass Spectrometry
« on: November 20, 2016, 08:32:12 AM »
How to determine Ti in Ilmenite sample using Inductively Coupled Plasma Mass Spectrometry?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Determine Ti in Ilmenite sample using ICP Mass Spectrometry
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 12:55:29 PM »
This is the first result from Google:  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18966730  Its a scholarly resource, you should read the entire paper, and see all the nuances and if the likely results meet your needs.  If you don't have time for that, the abstract is free to view, and gives some basic steps to start with.

I hope this meets your needs, although we would wish you'd have done this Google search yourself, we say so in the Forum Rules{click}.  If this doesn't meet your needs, well, we still wish you'd have done it yourself first, and then were able to tell us why it doesn't meet your needs.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline thanujan2410

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 05:30:57 AM »
Thank you for your reply. I read that article and the determination was done by ICP-AES method but I need by ICP-MS method. Couldn't find it from google.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 09:19:59 AM »
ICP-MS and ICP-AES are similar on their front ends. It is certainly a good starting point.

You may also broaden your search to include other mineral samples besides ilmenite, as the preparation methods will be similar. The primary challenge will be turning what is essentially a rock into a dilute homogenous solution. Most likely some kind of acid digestion will be needed. The paper Arkcon gave you will almost certainly include a digestion method, which will be the same for both techniques. After that it's just creating standards and aspirating your solution into the instrument - standard ICP-MS analysis. Since this is a titanium ore, the concentration of titanium will be pretty high (why ICP-AES may be the better method). Either way, you wont likely be pushing the detection limits, so the analysis should be fairly straightforward.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Sponsored Links