April 24, 2024, 04:35:02 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Signal flare ignition  (Read 2126 times)

Beasly2691

Signal flare ignition
« on: November 22, 2016, 06:58:19 AM »
Forum members, this is my first post so please bear with me.

Firstly, hopefully this question is in the correct location, if not then please inform me of the correct area to ask.  I am not a chemist and know very little on the subject hence why I am asking for information and input by professional and knowledgeable forum members.

Here goes:
I have an invention idea that requires an ignition system similar to a signal flare. To ignite a signal flare the cap/lid must be removed then used to strike the end of said flare (like striking a match?) this then ignites the flare giving the required reaction i.e. firing a rocket, creating smoke or very bright sparks etc etc.  My first question is ‘What chemicals/compounds are used to create this ignition system and flare effect’? My second and most important question regarding my invention is ‘would it be possible to ignite a flare or create fire by pulling or removing a tab/cord (like a party popper) rather than ‘striking’ the base like a match?  My initial (and uneducated) thoughts were to use Glycerin and Potassium Permanganate with a divider, that, when removed creates a flame/fire that will then ignite the required materials. Is there a better way to do this and could anyone advise on how to do it?

Apologies if this make no sense, please feel free to ask questions or clarification on certain points.

I look forward to your answers.

Many thanks. 

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Signal flare ignition
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 07:13:58 AM »
Beware, we don't discuss pyrotechnics nor explosives here, and your question definitely fits that category.

My second and most important question regarding my invention is ‘would it be possible to ignite a flare or create fire by pulling or removing a tab/cord (like a party popper) rather than ‘striking’ the base like a match?

Definitely possible. Party poppers contain friction based ignition system, also that's how the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_24_grenade worked.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links