April 18, 2024, 12:42:03 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: The stability of a dry mixture of sodium thiosulfate and silver nitrate  (Read 4841 times)

Offline Mal_666

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
When Sodium thiosulfate and Silver nitrate are combined in solution (in the appropriate ratio) they form a Silver thiosulfate solution. The information I have been able to gather via chemical suppliers is that this solution has a very limited shelf life. What I am needing to know is whether a dry mixture of sodium thiosulfate and silver nitrate is stable enough for long term storage.

Thanks in advance.  :)

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +166/-48
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
Re: The stability of a dry mixture of sodium thiosulfate and silver nitrate
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 06:43:19 AM »
Its very instable if it get wet. Silversulfide will be formed. For what reason you need the mixture. Why not add thiosulfate and silvernitrate fresh if it needed.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 07:12:31 AM by Hunter2 »

Offline Mal_666

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 06:54:52 AM »
Its very instable if it get wet. Silbersulfide will be formed. For what reason you need the mixture. Why not add hiosulfate and silvernitrate fresh if it needed.

Thanks for the quick answer.

I am exploring the possibility of marketing the mixture for preserving cut flowers. It would be much easier to supply it as one dry powder to be prepared with distilled water as needed, as apposed to having a two part product that has to be mixed by the consumer before/during the preparation with distilled water.

Would it be stable in an airtight package as long as it can't get wet or absorb moisture?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 07:04:07 AM »
I'm unable to verify your reaction right now, please be sure you have it correct, before this thread gets unwieldy. 

I dont know if Hunter: Has a more correct reaction ir a typo. 

I didn't know this particular solution is a really good dessicant.  There are many other options.  In this sub - forum, there is another thread on the topic of flower preservation.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Mal_666

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 07:30:54 AM »
I didn't know this particular solution is a really good dessicant.  There are many other options.  In this sub - forum, there is another thread on the topic of flower preservation.

The usefulness of the silver thiosulfate solution for prolonging the life of cut flowers is not my question - it slows the deterioration of cut flowers by blocking ethylene.

My question merely concerns whether a dry mixture of sodium thiosulfate and silver nitrate would remain stable, i.e. would it be stable in an airtight package as long as it can't get wet or absorb moisture?

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +166/-48
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 07:56:03 AM »
Sodium thiosulfate will be sold as penta-hydrate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_thiosulfate

So it will be wet automatically.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 09:06:08 AM »
Silver(I) forms relatively stable thiosulfate complexes [Ag(S2O3)2]3- - they are easily decomposed by light and during warming.

I do not think this is a good idea for this purpose. Search for other inhibitors and preservation reagents.
AWK

Offline Mal_666

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 03:43:46 PM »
Sodium thiosulfate will be sold as penta-hydrate.

It is also sold as Sodium thiosulfate anhydrous.

Thank you for everyone's input. So what I can gather is that a dry mixture of Sodium thiosulfate (anhydrous) and Silver nitrate will remain stable as long as it is packaged so as to protect it from light, moisture and excessive heat.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 05:13:08 PM by Mal_666 »

Sponsored Links