March 28, 2024, 08:17:55 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Help with recipe for strongman  (Read 4880 times)

Offline Benmarch

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Help with recipe for strongman
« on: December 05, 2016, 04:20:13 PM »
Hi guys

Hoping someone can help

Im a amature competative strongman, and we use a substance called tacky to lift the giant concrete balls, atlas stones

But i need some advice for my recipe. I make it using pine resin (rock rosin) and grape seed oil. The problem is, if its to cold its not pliable out of the tub and requires heating. And if its to hot (im in australia) it just runs and slips and is basically useless.

Ive tried adding a little mineral turpentine to the mix to make it plyable, and it works but not the point where it can withstand our rapidly changing weather

Does anyone on here have any suggestions on what i could do to make the tacky more pliable in cold weather and stable in hot weather? Even if it meant 2 different ratios to go with the heat

Offline P

• Mole Snacks: +64/-15
  • I am what I am
Re: Help with recipe for strongman
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 09:59:08 AM »
Would more resin and less oil work for the hotter weather system? Likewise - more oil and less resin for the colder environment. You might just need to make 2 tubs, one for each scenario.

Also, would the inclusion of some powder, like chalk or talc, help with the grip in the hot weather scenario? Just asking because it might be more abrasive and more gripy with some particulates in it as well. Maybe not - if that were the case it would probably have been done before I suppose - just thinking aloud.

PS - I used to love (and still do sometimes) watching those strongman contests on the TV! I started watching them in the days of Jeff Capes and Magnus Magnuson and the like. On the television it looks like they use some powder - is this the stuff made from your pine resin?
Tonight I’m going to party like it’s on sale for $19.99!

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Sponsored Links