April 26, 2024, 04:17:42 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: TROUBLE: Allylic oxidation Chromium trioxide and glacial acetic acid *delete me*!!!  (Read 2652 times)

Offline Qfbale

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hi!

I'm doing an allylic oxidation with chrome trioxide and glacial acetic acid.

When I leave the reaction for 3 hours at room temperature, I can observe by TLC that the raw material is consumed completely. But when I want to extract my product, I only get an 8% yield.
When the reaction was stopped, upon consuming the raw material completely, 20 ml of water was added and extracted with CH2Cl2 (3 by 20 ml). The organic phase was washed with saturated aqueous NaHCO3. The organic phase was dried with anhydrous Na2SO4 and concentrated.

Anyone who has experience with this reaction? :'( :(

Offline química brasileira

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
hello,

perhaps i can try to help you my friend, what is the solvent used in the oxidation? the allelic compound, what it is like? do u mind giving a picture so i can have a idea of where the oxidation would stop?

depending on your conditions, u can filter off, and remove the AcOH in the rota evaporator, instead of extracting, u might be losing your compounds there. If u have a ACID as product u HAVE to use acid for the extraction. If u use base u will most likely have it hydrolysed.

hope i can help

Sponsored Links