April 19, 2024, 08:51:33 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Sun element question  (Read 1539 times)

Offline Portomar1970

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Sun element question
« on: December 05, 2016, 08:50:39 PM »
There are thousands of absorption lines in the solar spectrums and they all have been catalogued, these absorption lines helped astronomers identify 67 chemical elements in the sun. Absorptionn lines are created by elements absorbing the energy requisite to,promote its electrons to higher energy orbitals-it is the same as their spectrum lines! Do you think we have identified all the elements in the sun. Why or why not.

My answer is that all the elements have probably not been identified because there may be small quantities of elements that are just that, too small too discover and maybe we don't have the instruments to study them just yet.

Any suggestion or ideas or am I right or wrong?
Stella

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +166/-48
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
Re: Sun element question
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 01:37:46 AM »
I think the almost 90 Elements whats on earth can be find every where in the universe, so also in the sun.

Offline mjc123

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +296/-12
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 06:05:59 AM »
If an element occurs on Earth, it must have been present in the gas cloud from which the Solar System formed, and therefore is almost certainly present in the Sun, though maybe in concentrations too small to be detected with current technology.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 08:03:09 AM »
The heaviest elements may have sunk deep below the Sun's chromosphere. This depends on how effective convection is at mixing the elements again. And I believe this is a usual process early in the formation of celestial items, but haven't put figures on it up to now.

Beware I'm not mainstream with that idea of element segregation by gravity.

As for the difficulty of observing rare elements, one should keep in mind that the hot chromosphere widens the absorption lines, so more abundent elements hide the rare ones.

Sponsored Links