March 28, 2024, 04:14:18 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How to keep my enzymes alive, while extracting oil  (Read 2708 times)

Offline Seed

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
How to keep my enzymes alive, while extracting oil
« on: December 09, 2016, 03:41:26 PM »
Hello everyone, I really hope you can help me!

I have a batch of seeds, which I wanna extract to an essential edible oil with different fat contents.
However unlike in every single article I have read so far about extracting seeds, I wanna keep my enzymes intact. This means I can't extract oil from the seeds above 60°C, since the enzyme natural present in the seed would denature above this temperature.

Another obstacle hereby is that when the seeds are broken and water is added the enzymatic reaction would start. For getting different fat contents, I was considering diluting my stock solution. I think I could do this with demi-water. However as soon as I start this the enzyme reaction would immediately begin.

My goal is to measure the release product, the enzyme produce over a certain period of time, pretty much untill there is no more product released. Now I've read the reaction is much stronger once in vapor other than as liquid form. So is their a way I could vaporise my crude oil, without heating it (since this denatures my enzyme).

Thank you for your kind suggestions, I hope it will really help me out a lot!

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
Re: How to keep my enzymes alive, while extracting oil
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 07:27:35 PM »
I don't quite understand the goal of your experiment.  Enzymes are water soluble, so your extracted oil will contain no active enzymes even if you do manage to perform the extraction without denaturing any of the enzymes.  If you want to look at how enzyme activity changes the oil composition, you could just break up the seeds, add water, denature the enzymes after certain timepoints, then perform the extraction.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 09:49:37 PM by Yggdrasil »

Offline Seed

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: How to keep my enzymes alive, while extracting oil
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 08:05:34 PM »
What I would like to do with the experiment is as followed: to see if the fat content of the seed, has an influence on the release product of the enzyme.

Since the release products of the enzyme are fat soluble. 

Sponsored Links