March 28, 2024, 07:45:30 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Are all positive ions unhealthy? How about the case of the calcium ion (CA2+)?  (Read 3174 times)

Sonic88

Hi all,

I'm not a scientist by any means, but like to learn about issues regarding general health. I have read that positive ions tend to have a negative reaction to the health of people, whereas negative ions have a positive effect. But I assume that this doesn't mean that ALL positive ions or ALL negative ions have this same effect? How about the case of CA2+?

Thanks for any feedback!

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
What you heard is complete nonsense. Every positive ion is accompanied by a negative counterion, you can't have one without the other, so the statement is meaningless.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline Irlanur

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +32/-4
I have read that positive ions tend to have a negative reaction to the health of people

As Dan already wrote: This is nonsense.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
This is most likely related not to the ions in general, but to the ions produced by air ionizers. Different effects are being assigned to negative and positive ions produced in these devices. They can definitely produce an air enriched in only one ion type, as the remaining, opposite charge is simply grounded. No idea how reliable is the information and how well researched these things are.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +319/-22
I agree with the other answers and would like to add that keeping the proper concentrations of positive ions, such as potassium and magnesium, is essential to a living cell.

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
For those that haven't been to Facebook, what Sonic88 is likely referring to is this nonsense that has gone viral this past month:

https://i.reddituploads.com/669a501bb08c47fcbee2d9256fe800ae?fit=max&h=1536&w=1536&s=0194103f20f7ae98ac576bc7a0ce6c58
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
I will always agree...the people around me are entirely too positive. :P
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links