March 28, 2024, 07:36:53 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Lead removal solution must not remove alloys from steel substrate.  (Read 1739 times)

Offline xerxes

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hi! New here!

I need to use a solution that dissolves lead that is galled onto a steel alloy substrate, but it must not remove any alloys in the surface of the steel substrate. I have a way to dissolve metallic lead: Make a 50/50 solution of 3% hydrogen peroxide, and distilled white vinegar (acetic acid I think).   A chip of lead completely turns into an insoluble white powder plus whatever invisible chemicals in the solution.

I need to know if this solution will also LEACH any of the alloys (CR, S, Fe, Si) in the surface of the steel. Thx, Xerxes

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
Re: Lead removal solution must not remove alloys from steel substrate.
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 07:38:04 PM »
Welcome, Xerxes!

My gut feeling is that peroxide and an acid, even mild, will corrode the steel, and faster than they dissolve lead. I might perhaps be wrong.

Some companies specialize in the surface treatment of metals. Why shouldn't you contract them for this task? It's a real knowledge, long to acquire, and they possess it. One such company was able to remove for me a chrome layer and leave the steel beneath untouched.

Sponsored Links