March 29, 2024, 10:01:53 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How can I accelerate the process for aging paper ?  (Read 2478 times)

komal211

How can I accelerate the process for aging paper ?
« on: January 14, 2017, 03:05:22 AM »
Hello, I have very limited knowledge in chemistry in science in general. For the making of a role-playing game, I need to be able to accelerate the aging process of paper with text printed on it , via an inket printer (black and white, as well as colors).

I would like to know which chemical ingredients I could use for that. I know it can be done for food, inside a sealed food jar for some days. The producer of the documentary titled "Super Size Me" did it in his documentary. I's sure it can also be done for paper. What should I try to do in order to accelerate the aging process of printed paper ?

Thank you.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: How can I accelerate the process for aging paper ?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 02:01:38 PM »
I would experiment with combinations of UV, heating and bleach (just keep it open in the same container paper is, don't wet the paper).
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: How can I accelerate the process for aging paper ?
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 07:06:28 PM »
I once had a similar need. You don't need to actually simulate aging to get an old look, and in any case that can be difficult because most papers (printer papers, anyway) are chemically treated to resist environmental damage. I found that dying good stock printer, drawing or water color paper with diluted coffee worked very well - the liquid in the coffee also warps the paper, which helps with the old look. I also burned the edges of the paper with a candle to make for a very aged look.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Sponsored Links