April 17, 2024, 10:16:19 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Startup/patent  (Read 2028 times)

Offline ketland93

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-4
Startup/patent
« on: January 16, 2017, 04:02:29 AM »
Hello everyone.
My name is Daniel, messaging you from Israel :)
My partner and I are working on a new startup.
The idea is to create a small shape, (A heart for example) out of glass, or any other material you would recommend.
Inside the shape we want to have smoke swirling around, or shooting upwards, and possibly colored led lights to add effect.
I have already posted on reddit and got some interesting ideas.
One idea was maybe silica foam and sulfur hexafluoride, which he said, might work.
Another idea, was 3D prnting using acrylic. The smoky haze, he said, could be generated by stage smoke methods using glycols,
and a small muffin fan to create the swirl.
Now, he did not know much about stage smoke, and niether do I.
I was hoping maybe someone could shed some light on what "stage smoke methods" are and how to produce it?

A different idea I was thinking about is maybe using a small fogger to generate smoke shooting upwards, like I desire.
But the smoke would have no room to esacpe. What would happen?
Moreover, the stuff you need to use to generate the smoke would have to be replaced often. Which is a major downside.
Would it be possible to create a small smoke machine that later sucks the smoke back in and recycles it?
All ideas would be much appreciated!
Thank you for reading. :)

PS. Sorry for any grammer/spelling mistakes.
Daniel

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: Startup/patent
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 05:16:30 AM »
Multiple posts. 6 copies removed.
AWK

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
Re: Startup/patent
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 07:45:19 AM »
Use fine dust maybe?

An air stream blows through the feed of settled dust and creates a flux of "smoke", while at an other location, the dust settles down and is collected for reuse.

Whether dust, aerosol or whatever, you'll need something to keep the walls clean (transparent particles or droplets would ease this), and a "smoke" injection gentle enough to keep most volume clean so you distinguish the jet.

I saw a nice demo with a condensing vapour to make the fog but have forgotten the details. Something like ethanol+water mixture, gently heated at the base, in a gas.

Address the issues of flammability and toxicity, since dust and aerosols are bad for that.

Sponsored Links