April 19, 2024, 08:32:55 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Filter technology guide  (Read 2438 times)

Offline avanish023

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Filter technology guide
« on: January 17, 2017, 07:39:13 AM »
Hi,

We have chemical manufacturing unit based in India. We are facing issues in selling our product due to high iron. Our product is acidic solution and iron is dissolved in it. its about 50ppm and we need to remove upto 1ppm. Anybody can help me out?

Thanks in Advance

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Filter technology guide
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 07:44:31 AM »
Well, there isn't really a filter for dissolved substances, but there are other methods.  To give you a really good answer, we need to know scale -- how much at once has to be processed, and what it is, so we can avoid conflicts.  Also, how are you quantitating -- how do you know you have 50, and not 590 or 5, and how will you know when you have 1 ppm and not 2 or 1.61 ppm?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline avanish023

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 08:26:59 AM »
Well, there isn't really a filter for dissolved substances, but there are other methods.  To give you a really good answer, we need to know scale -- how much at once has to be processed, and what it is, so we can avoid conflicts.  Also, how are you quantitating -- how do you know you have 50, and not 590 or 5, and how will you know when you have 1 ppm and not 2 or 1.61 ppm?

We manufacture Sodium Metabisulphite in powder and liquid forms. Raw materials are Soda Ash n Sulfur. These two contains iron. everytime we add this raw materials, iron gets added. Now our customers are asking for less than 4ppm iron. Is there any viable process to remove iron from solution of sodium bisulphite / metabisulphite?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 08:55:19 PM »
I can't think of an easy way to precipitate the iron from your solutions.  I think an ion exchange column specific for iron may be too expensive.  Maybe the best way is to use a different grade of starting material so there is less iron in your product.  You use premium raw materials, you produce a premium product, and you charge a premium price.  And maybe your customers will ask to use your older formulation.  Unless you use an iron reactor, and that's where the iron contamination comes from.  Perhaps, simply crystallizing your product will purify it enough?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links