March 28, 2024, 05:22:02 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Mixing bleach with disinfectant  (Read 15232 times)

Candy cane

Mixing bleach with disinfectant
« on: January 24, 2017, 04:39:36 PM »
So, today, I was cleaning the toilet. I sprayed Dettol disinfectant on the seat (so some spray would've ended up in the toilet bowl) and then i poured bleach into the bowl. I didn't think much of it until later. I wonder if a dangerous gas was released into the air (chlorine, I assume?). I also wonder if either of the 2 cleaners became inactive as a result of being mixed together.

Ingredients:
Tesco Lemon Bleach contains amongst other ingredients. Non-ionic Surfactant, Anionic Surfactant Less than 5% Also contains: Disinfectant: Sodium Hypochlorite 4.5g per 100g, Perfume

Dettol disinfectant: per 100g contains 57.81g ethanol, 0.09g alkyl dimethyl benzyl ammounium saccharinate, perfume, limonene.

Can anyone answer my queries please?

Thanks

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: Mixing bleach with disinfectant
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 05:00:24 PM »
Sodium hypochlorite always evolves some chlorine since carbonic acid is stronger than HOCl.
AWK

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 05:07:14 PM »
The only dangerous gas that can evolve here in substantial quantities is chlorine. If you have not smelled it (or more precisely, if it wasn't more choking that the bleach always is) nothing wrong has happened.

A bit harder to answer the latter question. Apparently it is an almost 60% ethanol, so the spray was probably still effective (albeit probably a bit weaker) even if other ingredients reacted with chlorine.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Candy cane

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 05:08:43 PM »
Sodium hypochlorite always evolves some chlorine since carbonic acid is stronger than HOCl.

Thanks. So, chlorine would've been released even if the 2 cleaners hadn't have mixed together?

Candy cane

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 05:14:23 PM »
The only dangerous gas that can evolve here in substantial quantities is chlorine. If you have not smelled it (or more precisely, if it wasn't more choking that the bleach always is) nothing wrong has happened.

A bit harder to answer the latter question. Apparently it is an almost 60% ethanol, so the spray was probably still effective (albeit probably a bit weaker) even if other ingredients reacted with chlorine.

Thanks for replying. I didn't smell anything, to be honest, and I didn't choke either, so perhaps nothing wrong happened. I had the bathroom window open for a couple of hours just in case.

Oh, yes, true about the ethanol. I wonder if the bleach would've been weakened. I always think of bleach as being the thing that is stronger than any other cleaner - as in it could never be made weaker by another cleaner. Not sure exactly where I got that idea from.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 05:32:28 PM »
So, chlorine would've been released even if the 2 cleaners hadn't have mixed together?

It always is.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Candy cane

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 05:39:33 AM »
Apparently, the bleach would be just as effective even if it did come into contact with the dettol disinfectant spray. I've also been told that poisonous gases wouldn't be released into the air. I guess that would explain why I didn't smell anything.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 07:07:27 AM »
Limonene (2 double bonds) can react with chlorine.
AWK

Candy cane

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 07:31:39 AM »
Limonene (2 double bonds) can react with chlorine.

I see. So, what actually happens? What is released?

The lady at Tesco assured me that the disinfectant wouldn't affect the effectiveness of the bleach.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 08:04:52 AM »
This may be a simple chlorine addition (or hypochlorous acid) to double bonds of limonene.
AWK

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2017, 09:22:26 AM »
In any case, adding another disinfectant is completely redundant, since bleach kills just about everything.  Typically it's good practice not to mix bleach with any other cleaners.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Sponsored Links