March 28, 2024, 07:43:29 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Preparation for Chemistry Olympiad  (Read 8394 times)

Offline snowgumm

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Preparation for Chemistry Olympiad
« on: January 28, 2017, 09:14:23 AM »
Hi all,

I am preparing for the qualifying exam of the Chemistry Olympiad this August and was just wondering how I could best prepare myself to achieve the highest score possible? I will be entering year 11 and have already learnt all of year 11 chemistry outside of school. I believe that the syllabus for the Olympiad features only topics from year 11; however, I also know that the Olympiad will also often test concepts outside of assumed knowledge. What could I do to best prepare myself during this 8-month period? Should I start on year 12 chemistry? Should I work on consolidating my year 11 knowledge and foundations? Should I work on gaining more general knowledge? If so, how would I go about doing so for any of these? Thanks in advance.  ;D

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Preparation for Chemistry Olympiad
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 11:18:16 AM »
Do as many problems from previous years as you can. Whenever you find they are based on a concept that you don't know yet, try to learn it. Don't limit yourself to the problems from your country Chemistry Olympiad.

You can also try our problems from the Problem of The Week Archive, most of them are on the Olympiad level.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline snowgumm

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 03:53:59 PM »
Thanks! I'll do that :)

Offline Vidya

• Mole Snacks: +46/-62
  • Online Chemistry and Organic Chemistry tutor
    • Online Chemistry Tutor
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 05:38:42 AM »
Hi all,

Should I work on consolidating my year 11 knowledge and foundations? Should I work on gaining more general knowledge? If so, how would I go about doing so for any of these? Thanks in advance.  ;D
The best way to get success in this exam ,as suggested by Borek also,is to practice more and more questions.

Sponsored Links