April 26, 2024, 07:39:29 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Acid-Base Theories  (Read 2090 times)

Offline christine3570

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Acid-Base Theories
« on: February 04, 2017, 07:13:49 PM »
Hello, could someone explain the different acid-base theories and their uses?

I heard about a few theories, including the arrehenius acid base theory, bronsted-lowry theory, and lewis theory, and was wondering about their different aspects and significances.

Offline christine3570

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Le Chatelier's Principle
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 07:15:51 PM »
I heard about this principle from my chemistry teacher, but he didn't have time to explain much about it. I would appreciate your explanations and recommendations for further learning.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Acid-Base Theories
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 09:29:15 PM »
Hi there, christine3570:, I'd like to welcome you to the Chemical Forums, but I'd like to ask you to review the Forum Rules{click}.  You agreed to these rules as a condition of signing up for our forum, and they apply to you, whether you agree with them or not, or even if you're unaware of them.

I've merged your two questions because you have failed the follow the rules twice.  Given the wealth of information a simple Google search away, textbooks that you have or can find in a library, there's no reason to ask us to explain these topics for you in a posting.  Start with what you know, or can read, and ask us specific questions you need help with.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 02:33:47 PM »
Wikipedia is often a good start.

Offline manuelrech

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 03:13:09 PM »
There are 3 different acid/base theories
-Arrenius
    → acid frees ion H+ in water          (HCl    ⇒    H+  +  Cl-)                  ⇢ HCl acid
    → base frees ion OH- in water.       (NaOH      ⇒    Na+    +     OH-)     ⇢ NaOH base
    → this theory doesn't explain "why meh NH3 is a base?". NH3 cannot frees OH- ion but the pH meter shows basic pH.
        So, this theory was abandoned

-Brönsted-Lowry
    → acid gives protons (H+ ion) to an another substance that receives it.
    → HCl     +      H2O        ⇒         H3O+     +      Cl-                      In this reaction, HCl gives a proton to the water
        which becomes oxonium ion, so HCl is the acid because it gives H+ and water is the base because it takes H+.
    →Now, you can watch the reaction from the products to the reagents and you can see that H3O+ is an acid because it
       can give H+ ion and Cl- is a base because the only thing it can do is to receive H+ ions.
       In the acid-base reaction, every acid has its conjugate base and every base has its conjugated acid. In this example,
       HCl is the acid and Cl- is its conjugated base; H2O is the base and oxonium ion is its conjugated acid.

-Lewis
    →It's the same as Brönsted-Lowry theory but the difference is about the exchanges.
    →In this theory, the base has a free electron pair that can give to an another substance who takes this electron pair,
       the acid

If you need more help or better explanations, please just contact me and I'd be very happy to help you
(sorry for the bad English, but I'm still learning :):) )

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 04:06:49 PM »
This above can be easily found in any texbook.
AWK

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 06:40:27 PM »
And these are not all acid/base theories :)

@manuelrech - please read the forum rules, especially the part about how we help people. You did work for someone who has not even tried to look for the information, that's never helpful.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links