April 16, 2024, 11:54:19 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Tap water after electrolysis need help.  (Read 9400 times)

Offline xhaxhi

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Tap water after electrolysis need help.
« on: February 07, 2017, 08:58:11 AM »
Hello Guys.

I'm in need for help and answers.

A guy came in to my home and did two test with the water I use for drinking and cooking. The first test was done with TDS and i saw this numbers, 374 from tap water, 110 the water that I buy to cook, 220 from the water that I buy to drink.

After that, he did another test with the electrolysis, iron and aluminium rods for two to three minutes in each glass and the water took several colors (find photo attached):

First glass from the left went through Reverse Osmosis system that he installed in my kitchen sink and the water was yellow transparent color, he explained that those are only minerals needed in our bodies.

The second glass, Tap water had several colors, some red to brown bright in the top of the glass and he explained that those colors are rust and iron dissolved in water: a black ring that showed the presence of heavy metals in water, like, iron, cooper, zinc, etc. The glass was filled with green, blue color that according to him was lead, cooper rust and mercury and only 10% of the glass is drinkable.

The third glass, water for cooking, same story with colors but it showed 110 in TDS.

The fourth and last glass in the right had only one color red bright that showed only presence of iron and rust, 220 TDS.

The explanation for all the dissolved metals in the water was that, our Water Supplier does not go through the Coagulation Process when cleanse it.

Can any one explain the colors.

Sorry for my English.

Hope to hear from you very soon.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
AWK

Offline Intanjir

• Mole Snacks: +45/-1
Re: Tap water after electrolysis need help.
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 02:42:08 PM »
Scam. This is just a bunch of theatrics designed to get you to buy crap you don't need.

Iron electrodes are not suitable for electrolysis and what you are seeing are likely iron oxides/hydroxides from the electrode as it slowly disintegrates during the electrolysis forming an 'icky' red, brown, or green sludge depending on oxidation state. Your images look completely consistent to me with iron electrolysis sludges I have made in the past.

The RO water is less conductive since RO removes some of the ions. This results in considerably less electricity flow between the electrodes and less wear and tear on the iron electrode. Thus relatively little sludge will be formed when using the RO water.

There is radically more material after this treatment than could possibly be dissolved in the water to begin with given the poor solubility of heavy metals. It is a scam. The exact same thing would have happened if you put the same electrode setup into some distilled water(or RO water) with a sprinkle of table salt added to increase the conductivity.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 02:44:01 PM »
After that, he did another test with the electrolysis, iron and aluminium rods for two to three minutes in each glass and the water took several colors (find photo attached):

To be honest, in my humble opinion it is about as meaningless test as you can think of. If he uses an iron electrode no wonder there is an iron detected in the solution. Others statements - like "this is lead, copper and mercury" - are completely unfounded and sound like a false, advertising mumbo jumbo, just to scare you about the water quality and sell you whatever he is selling.

Edit: Itanjir posted more or less the same while I was composing my post. I am still posting it to reiterate :)
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline RDX

• Mole Snacks: +1/-5
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 06:11:12 PM »
Just curious, did you see him slip anything into the water like magnesium sulfate or salt?

Offline rajiv

• Mole Snacks: +0/-2
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 03:58:28 AM »
Generally TDS of water should be less than 200 for home use like washing, cooking. A normal water filter can reduce TDS level upto 40 to 50 for drinking use. Its amazing you are using 220 TDS for drinking.

Offline xhaxhi

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 05:10:06 PM »
Hello guys.

First of all, I really appreciate your responses and I'm very grateful to you.

No he did not pour anything in the water I'm sure of it 100%.

As I mentioned, our Water Supplier does not go through all the stages of water treatment. They skip the stage of "coagulation and flocculation" of water treatment and that is why I think I have dissolved metals in my tap water and that is why i needed an answer for the colors that are in the water glasses.

Regards. :)

Offline Intanjir

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 12:24:33 PM »
The colors are iron from the electrode. They are different because the color depends on the oxidation state of the iron.

Offline Intanjir

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 12:57:59 PM »
Rajiv, can you cite a source for your claim that TDS should be below 200? I think you might be relying on numbers touted by companies with a vested interest in selling RO equipment.

The World Health Organization characterizes any TDS below 300 as 'excellent'.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-acceptable-TDS-level-of-drinking-water
http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/dwq/chemicals/tds.pdf

Sponsored Links