March 29, 2024, 12:00:15 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Vacuum rating for standard Buchner Flask(Filtering Flask)  (Read 2757 times)

Offline ncamp1

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Vacuum rating for standard Buchner Flask(Filtering Flask)
« on: February 10, 2017, 01:36:11 AM »
Hi guys, first time here. I am creating an system under vacuum and need to include this type of flask. I have not worked with these before and I know that they are used under vacuum. I was wondering if anyone could give me a good estimate on the vacuum rating of a flask like this(refer to link). I am not necessarily using it for its intended purpose so I am a little nervous on spending the money on one if it won't work.
Any advice is appreciated

http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/product/aldrich/cls53401l?lang=en&region=US&cm_sp=Insite-_-prodRecCold_xviews-_-prodRecCold10-10

-N

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Vacuum rating for standard Buchner Flask(Filtering Flask)
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 05:41:28 AM »
You may have to poke around, or even ask Sigma-Aldrich by phone, but they should be able to give you the specifications.  Generally, proper use of vacuum flasks has them placed behind a plexiglass shield whenever in use.  They should never break under typical conditions.  Unless, like me, you have a particular set of conditions, then, its up to you to describe them as best you can, like I did here: http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=87710.0
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Carlton

Re: Vacuum rating for standard Buchner Flask(Filtering Flask)
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 12:44:47 PM »
The vacuum rating will almost certainly vary by manufacturer and probably by the size of the flask as well. I'd contact tech support at the company who manufactured your flask and get the rating for the specific flask that you're working with. If that's not possible, especially if you're using generic, non-branded glassware, give yourself a wide margin of error.

Sponsored Links