April 18, 2024, 10:28:39 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Organic Molecules and Their Application  (Read 2013 times)

Offline ujellytek

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Organic Molecules and Their Application
« on: February 16, 2017, 10:26:54 PM »
Here is a chance to share some of your knowledge about certain types of organic molecules.

Story:
My partner decided to bail on me and leave this whole assignment to do by myself. I really need help because with the internet resource I have at my disposal is very limited and I was given one day to complete this assignment (at school internet is free at home I have none so I need to use the library which is very far from home).

Some of the organic families have been done by me. Please help me out, you don't have to go out of your way to do this, just remembering some interesting molecule that belongs to one of the families mentioned below and posting it's name would be great.

Here is what I need:

Alkyl Halides: two molecule names and why they are unique/their application (cannot be Tetrafluoroethylene)

Aldehydes: three molecule names and why they are unique/their application

Esters: three molecule names and why they are unique/their application

Ethers: two molecule names and why they are unique/their application (not diethyl ether)

Amines: three molecule names and why they are unique/their application

Amides: three molecule names and why they are unique/their application

~Thanks!

P.S It may seem like I'm trying to cheese my way through the assignment but I'm not, I've done everything in my power to complete this on time and it's impossible under my circumstance

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: Organic Molecules and Their Application
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 01:06:19 AM »
I am sympathetic to your situation, but it is Forum Rule that you show you have attempted the question.

Having done everything in your power to complete the assignment, I presume you have found at least one interesting molecule for the assignment - can you share what you have found so far?

Probably the best way to approach this is to search for the application. For example, a major application might be "antibiotics", search for "antibiotic drugs", find a drug, look at the structure and figure out which structural category from the assignment it fits in (likely more than one).

What other important applications can you think of?

One approach is to look around you. What substances do you use or consume in your daily life? Find out what these things are made of.

My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 02:16:08 AM »
Organic chemistry textbooks contan all these informations you need.
AWK

Offline ujellytek

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 08:08:26 AM »
Basically I was just trying to get you guys to name some molecules and explain one interesting thing about them, or a application of them. I haven't got to attempt these questions bcuz if I did it would be done lol, I just didn't have time to attempt them.

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 10:43:52 AM »
Basically I was just trying to get you guys to name some molecules and explain one interesting thing about them, or a application of them. I haven't got to attempt these questions bcuz if I did it would be done lol, I just didn't have time to attempt them.

It doesn't work like that here. You must show you have attempted the question, it's a Forum Rule.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Sponsored Links