April 24, 2024, 08:40:32 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Temperature effects on equilibrium  (Read 1398 times)

Offline BME_Dev

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Temperature effects on equilibrium
« on: February 19, 2017, 10:28:25 PM »
So say that I'm given an equation (I'm just making this up):  A(g) + B(g)  ::equil:: C(g) and I'm told that it's endothermic. Let's say that the temperature is decreased, then I would view it as a "product" and therefore the reaction would should left. On the other hand, if temperature were increased then it would be viewed as a "reactant" and the reaction would want to shift right to reach equilibrium.

If the reaction were EXOTHERMIC, and temperature was increased then it would want to shift right. As well, if the temperature was decreased, then it would want to shift left.

Is this a correct way to think of it or am I wrong? I'm having a hard time just putting this picture together in my head. 

Thanks in advance. 

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Temperature effects on equilibrium
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 03:31:56 AM »
In some ways you are on the right track, but you are confusing temperature with the heat and somehow you managed to get everything in the opposite direction.

It is heat that is the product, not temperature.

In exothermic reaction heat is between products. That means when the temperature goes up system feels like there is already large amount of a product and tries to counteract shifting the equilibrium to the left.

In endothermic reaction heat is consumed in the reaction, so you can think about it as if it was one of the reactants (i.e. substances going into the reaction). When the temperature goes up it is as if there were excess heat present - so the equilibrium shifts right.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links