April 26, 2024, 07:22:17 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Cu + Ammonium Sulfate = ?? Tetraamminecopper(II) sulfate?  (Read 3066 times)

Offline RogueRose

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Cu + Ammonium Sulfate = ?? Tetraamminecopper(II) sulfate?
« on: February 20, 2017, 05:22:45 AM »
I'm trying to find out what is produced when copper is added to a solution of ammonium sulfate.  I have added 50g of ammonium sulfate to 100g of water and added 50g of 30 awg wire and a deep blue solution was produced in a short period of time, much deeper blue than that of a heated saturated copper sulfate solution.  I have never seen the Tetraamminecopper(II) sulfate solution in person, but when comparing pictures, it seems very close to this color. 

Tetraamminecopper(II) sulfate is made by adding copper sulfate to a ammonium hydroxide solution.

I don't have pics of the copper in solution but here is a pic of a solution that was allowed to evaporate over a couple months. When water is added it does take on a color very similar to copper sulfate.  I think that the light blue at the bottom of the jar is largely the ammonium sulfate mixed with whatever the copper ion that is in the jar as there was more ammonium sulfate in solution than was needed, or could dissolve the copper by the time the water evaporated. 

Does anyone know what might be the result of these compounds?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Cu + Ammonium Sulfate = ?? Tetraamminecopper(II) sulfate?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 08:39:44 AM »
At first thought presence of the tetraamminecopper sounds reasonable - while metallic copper is not that reactive in general, in the presence of a complexing agent (like ammonia) copper oxidation by the atmospheric oxygen will be shifted to the right.

Devil is in the details though, ammonia is protonated so the concentration of a free ligand is low, there are several equilibria present and the final outcome is hard to predict.

Basic copper carbonates can take many shades between blue and green, and some colors on the picture may suggest they are present as well.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: Cu + Ammonium Sulfate = ?? Tetraamminecopper(II) sulfate?
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 09:10:13 AM »
Ammonium sulfate is a bit acidic, sufficiently for dissolving small amount of copper oxide to form copper sulfate. Then some ammonia is freeing and form complex (formally with half of) copper sulfate. Since amount of ammonia is unsufficient to complex whole copper in solution we can expect other complexes with 1,2, or 3 ammonia in solution, and since contact with air - eventually some basic copper carbonate, especially after evaporation of water.
AWK

Sponsored Links