April 26, 2024, 02:15:55 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Sodium Sulfate and Sodium Metabisulfite  (Read 2088 times)

Offline kidpreacher5325

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Sodium Sulfate and Sodium Metabisulfite
« on: February 20, 2017, 12:36:40 PM »
Hello.  I am a Pastor of children's Ministries at a church in South Texas. Years ago, I had a magic trick in which a white powder cleared the color from Iodine.  The packaging says Sodium Sulfate and Sodium Metabisulfite.  I purchased some of the Metabisulfite, but I do not know if I need the Sulfate or not.  Nor do I know what the mixture ratio would be.
The goal is to have a 1 Gal tank of water, pour about 3 OZ of Povidone Iodine 10% into it, making it very cloudy brown.  Then I add about a .2 oz of the powder, stirring slightly as I put it in (powder is in holes drilled in the magic wand) and within seconds the water is clear/white.  Then after a minute, the water is crystal clear again. (this is what the original mixture accomplished, but the company went out of business a decade ago)
Can anyone help me understand the difference between the two, and also what I need to order, with instructions on ratio to mix  Thank you so much.

Rev. Darn Roberts
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 02:39:28 PM by Borek »

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Sodium Sulfate and Sodium Metabisulfite
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 01:07:45 PM »
I'm betting it is entirely metabisulphite that is the reagent you want.  Try a tiny bit and see.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links