April 20, 2024, 02:15:11 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Calculating Binding constant  (Read 2084 times)

Offline anita-573

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Calculating Binding constant
« on: February 23, 2017, 07:04:16 PM »
I have attached the equation. I have completed a series of UV/Vis absorption titration experiments of a zinc porphyrin and pyridine as a ligand,1:1 but varying the concentration of pyridine whilst keeping the concentration of the porphyrin constant, to allow calculation of the binding constant by plotting the equation. I am having trouble with it because Af is the final absorbance of the fully complexed porphyrin, however, there is a shift in the absorbance when the ligand is bound to the porphyrin from about 419 nm to 428 nm. I was confused as to what wavelength I am interested in, so I'm not sure what absorbances to use. I have attempted but keep on getting mathematical error on my calculator somehow.

Thanks

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
Re: Calculating Binding constant
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 08:29:54 AM »
IIRC the logarithm of a negative number is undefined.  Is it possible that this is the problem?  It might be helpful to show your data.

Offline anita-573

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 07:17:57 AM »
Thanks for the reply, my issue was getting zero in denominator and I wasn't sure what wavelength I should be taking the absorbances from, since there is a second peak from complexed porphyrins.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 11:28:39 AM »
I don't understand your system as well as I would like.  I would be tempted to treat Af and K as adjustable parameters in some sort of regression treatment.  That way it should not be equal to Aobs, which sounds like the dependent variable.

Sponsored Links